cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Enterprise Vault API

pranvera
Level 2

Hi.I am currently on a email archiving product evaluation project and I can't find information about some criteria that i have about API. Does Enterprise Vault or Enterprise Vault.cloud have an API? And is the API  able to initiate, execute and obtain results at least in terms of:

Searching the repository based on the metadata values, full-text search indexing, search based on a folder in the hierarchy, access to the content of the search results? Do actions performed by the API allow modification of metadata describing the content of archived documents? Do actions performed by the API  observe the security system implemented by the repository in order to protect against unauthorized reading / modifying of archived content and metadata? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified

The Content Management and Search API's are available to customers through Partners of the STEP program as outlined above. That being said they still adhere to the standard EV security implementations. Depending on how the partner may have developed their application it may run under the same account as the VSA and as such have all the same priviliges. However exposing content to an end user should still be immplemented in such as a fashion so as to honour the security set for that user.

Again depending on how the application has been developed it may or may not allow for some of the actions you have described above. Content within the saveset itself is immutable so if the requirement is to alter that it will need to be extracted - modified - re-archived which is potentially possible using the CMAPI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

EV does have an API, I am not a 100% sure of the API access for EV.Cloud but I don't think so.

To answer your questions:

You are able to search EV via the API.  You can't modify archived items metadata after it is archived but you can use the API to add custom metadata to items as it is stored.

Not sure what you mean about the security question, the security in of the vault stores is controlled by EV.

The API reference guide isn't generally available.  You will need to work with a partner that does custom work for EV to flesh out exactly what you are trying to do and if it will work.

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

If you haven't got a response from STEP partners in this forum (I am not), you'll need to become a STEP partner to access API documentation.

I have dealt with a migration product in the past and EV API is a prerequisite for it.  It was able to ingest messages into the Vault Store and set metada (at least retention).

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified

The Content Management and Search API's are available to customers through Partners of the STEP program as outlined above. That being said they still adhere to the standard EV security implementations. Depending on how the partner may have developed their application it may run under the same account as the VSA and as such have all the same priviliges. However exposing content to an end user should still be immplemented in such as a fashion so as to honour the security set for that user.

Again depending on how the application has been developed it may or may not allow for some of the actions you have described above. Content within the saveset itself is immutable so if the requirement is to alter that it will need to be extracted - modified - re-archived which is potentially possible using the CMAPI.