Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Enterprise Vault Archive Vault backup & Virus Scanning best practice

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

People,

I'd like to know if it is best practice to do the following:

1. install Antivirus (Symantec End Point Protection), if yes then how to exclude certain things or not recommended at all ?

2. How do you guys backup to tape the Enterprise Vault archive to reuse the disk space so that the Vault is not keeps growing ? my Backup software is EMC Avamar and Networker (to write to tape).

Can anyone please shed some light in this matter. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Yes Dushan. If you go to the properties of the partition, there is a tab called Migration and you can setup the migration to migrate primaray storage (which is what you are running short) to secondary storage. You can look up for the guides on your EV server. This way the data are on the secondary storage and will be recorded in SQL.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

1. Anti-virus exclusions:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48856

2. For EV Backup Best practice take a look at this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/enterprise-vault-backups-best-practice

It will be hard to recommend something specific such as this because every environment is different because of the setup. Normally I close a partition at a certain size on a particular disk so that I can use the rest of the disk for another partition and so on a so forth and when I need a new disk I can just open a new partition on a new disk. The key is to keep the open partition at a manageable size, this will help with the backup (also use Collections but this has a down side).

Hope this helps.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Thanks for the reply.

So does purging the Enterprise Vault data and write it to tape is good idea ?

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

You don't have to but most companies would as you would need to have off-site backup therefore backup data up to tapes and send them off site. It all depends on how your backup infrastructure is configured.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Thanks for the response mister LCT, so in this case how to safely write the Vault Store to tape if there is any way to perform it safely and how can we re-import it back again in case the use wants to recall the old email data ?

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I would not recommend to take the data offline, meaning it's not available on disk anymore.

Which is how I interpret your question by reusing the disk space.

There are functions in EV to move the data to another disk/tape etc. but only for certain backup software's.

E.g. Netbackup.

There are issues when you take the data offline, e.g. if a user need to recall an old item it has to be restored back to the partition.

Which may be doable if it happens very rarely but still extra admin work.

You also have other considerations.

E.g. if you need to do an index rebuild you would have to restore everything that need to be re-indexed.

At that time will you have the diskspace to do a complete restore?

If you use a software that EV can´t interact with directly (check the compatibility guide) then the above process is completetly manual.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

FreKac2, thanks for the advise

Yes I'm using EMC Avamar to do the backup of my environment.

At the moment I'm using EV 8.0 SP4 (which I haven't implement the powershell pre-backup script), I heard that in the latest edition of Symantec Enterprise Vault, we can have the option to offload the VaultStore data. cmiiw ?

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think you need to explain what you mean by "offload".

If you mean that you want to move the archived data to a secondary device/software then you've been able to do that for quite some time.

But it requires specific softwares and/or storage devices, check page 31-33 in the compatibility guide.

I haven't seen a change in this behaviour, at least not in the currently released versions of EV and again there are drawbacks by doing this.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Yes Offloading mean to migrate the data off to a tape drive for cheap storage. Because at the moment our EMC CX4-240 is running out of disk slots as well.

What could be the issue when I write to tape the data in the VaultStore disk and then delete it ?

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

users can't restore or retrieve the archived items is the consequent, therefore that is not a good idea. You can offload/migrate it to secondary storage. 

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

Hi LCT,

So in this case secondary storage is like a NAS or CIFS share that can be expanded dynamically on demand ?

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Yes Dushan. If you go to the properties of the partition, there is a tab called Migration and you can setup the migration to migrate primaray storage (which is what you are running short) to secondary storage. You can look up for the guides on your EV server. This way the data are on the secondary storage and will be recorded in SQL.

Dushan_Gomez
Level 6

wow this is just what I need,

Thanks for the advice LCT, I will begin toi create the CIFS share on my EMC CX4-240 array as ThinPool with auto growth, and then migrate the VaultStore 1-10 contents itno one single big CIFS share drive, as well as the indexes.

I believe the RAID-5 on SATA-II disk is sufficient for this low cost secondary storage.