cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SynchInMigrationMode under EV11

O_Schmidt
Level 5

Hi,

i´ve a question about the SynchInMigrationMode in EV11.

We had migrated a user from one exchange server to another in our test-environment.
After that, i tried all the EV functions. All worked fine.

I´ve never set the SynchInMigrationMode in the registry on the server, and i didn´t start provisioning or mailbox archiving task too.

I´ve seen that the MAILBOXSERVER option in the hidden message on the client is still set to the old exchange server.
But i can´t see any negativ effects.

Why should i set this option?
Whats the difference with and without this option?
Is it possible to set this option permanently on the server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Most customers simply keep SynchInMigrationMode in their permanently For the most part you'll be ok but you could get warnings that a secondary mailbox exists and won't provision it or you could end up with a new archive entirely
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

SynchInMigrationMode controls whether EV attempts to preserve the link between a user mailbox and its archive. (The setting does not affect journal mailboxes.)

·         It does so by comparing a value called LegacyMbxDN in the EV Directory database between its existing record of the mailbox on the former Exchange Server and the new record of the mailbox on the current Exchange Server. The LegacyMbxDN value is based on an Active Directory attribute called legacyExchangeDN which remains constant regardless of where the mailbox moves; EV uses this as an anchor to identify the mailbox uniquely as it traverses the Exchange environment.

·         Because EV’s archiving model is constructed around the Exchange Server, a moved mailbox is seen as a new mailbox by EV (it is new to that server, after all). When theLegacyMbxDN of a new mailbox matches that of one already in EV’s records, EV defaults to archiving neither mailbox and simply logging a Warning event in the Windows Event Viewer. (This is a safety precaution.)

·         In situations where the discovery of new mailboxes with LegacyMbxDN values matching those of existing mailboxes is to be expected, such as planned mailbox migrations, theSynchInMigrationMode setting instructs EV to associate the newfound mailboxes to their existing archives and continue archiving them.

Regards,

A_J

O_Schmidt
Level 5

Hi A_J, 

thanks for your quick reply.

My problem is, that the moved mailbox works without the SynchInMigrationMode set on the server.
I can archive, retrieve, search, anything you can do with EV. Even the Mailbox task of the "new" exchange server works fine. The moved mailbox isn´t identified as a new mailbox by EV. 

The other exchange server is not a new server. It´s only another one in our environment.
I can´t see any negative effects without setting the SynchInMigrationMode in the registry.
I have never seen a warning in the event viewer too.

Why should I set this parameter?

I think in an exchange environment with thousands of users, it is daily business that a mailbox is moving between different exchange servers. This happens more than once in a week in our environment.
Does that mean that I have to set the registry key on the server, each time a usermailbox is moved to another exchange server? I think that´s very unhandy, isn´t it?

Kind regards

JesusWept3
Level 6
Most customers simply keep SynchInMigrationMode in their permanently For the most part you'll be ok but you could get warnings that a secondary mailbox exists and won't provision it or you could end up with a new archive entirely

O_Schmidt
Level 5

Thanks JesusWept3,

Are there any side effects if we leave the SynchInMigrationMode setting configured?

I think this is the best way to ensure that all mailboxes are configured correctly.

JesusWept3
Level 6

None that i know of, the environment I help look after is *huge* and its been a permanant regkey for as long as i can remember

I think the whole adding and removing the key was a bit easier back in the days when moving mailboxes really took a lot of effort and planning, but like you said, these days with simple scripts, you can move them easily without hesitation

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

we regularly build new EV enviornments (for a living) and this has been standard best practice for as long as i can remember too