cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 41016 event (database transaction log have used 96% of allocated space)

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi all,

Am I correct in that the check for the above event only take into account allocated space for the transaction log file in SQL Server and size of the file on disk ?

So it doesn't check for white space in the transaction log or what the auto growth setting is set to?

Have a customer that get the above event but the from a dbcc sqlperf (logspace) run, the log space used is roughly 4%.

The T-log is backed up daily.

Cheers

Fredrik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nathan_Clark_2
Level 4
Employee

Hi, FreKac, it uses DBCC SQLPERF(LOGSPACE) in VSDB.usps_GetTransactionLogSize and EVDir.GetTransactionLogSize stored procedures, Dtrace EVmonitoring for more info.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Shrink the logfiles:

USE DatabaseName
GO

DBCC SHRINKFILE(<TransactionLogName>, 1)
BACKUP LOG <DatabaseName> WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY
DBCC SHRINKFILE(<TransactionLogName>, 1)
GO

FreKac2
Level 6

Yes I know how you can do it, my question was in regard to if that is what EV checks.

Since that event only check the sizeon a very basic level (if I'm correct).

Also TRUNCATE_ONLY is gone in SQL 2008, you have to alter the database to simple then shrink the file then back to full.

Yes, it's solveable but I would like to know what EV checks to generate the event.

Nathan_Clark_2
Level 4
Employee

Hi, FreKac, it uses DBCC SQLPERF(LOGSPACE) in VSDB.usps_GetTransactionLogSize and EVDir.GetTransactionLogSize stored procedures, Dtrace EVmonitoring for more info.

FreKac2
Level 6

Thanks Nathan, will check those stored procedures.

Cheers,

Fredrik

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey FreKac.

If Nathan provided you the information you needed... please flag his post as haivng provided teh solution. This helps people who are trying to help find those that need help and gives nathan props for being awesome.

If you have outstanding questions or concerns, please let us know so that we may continue to help.