cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Archiving Task 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for EX' could not be started due to startup errors.

karinjo
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Event log on Enterprise Vault Server

The Archiving Task 'Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for EX' could not be started due to startup errors.

I have installed two Enterprise Vault Servers 9.0.2 in cluster, Exchange Server 2010 sp1, SQL Server 2010 R2,

AD and DNS, and each of these servers above is windows server 2008 r2 with 4GB ram.

Everything works fine, cluster failover testing ok, sql server ok, exchange server, ad and dns is ok,except one :) 

Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task start running and after few seconds go in failed state. In event logs I get the message from title.

I tried every solution from symantec support but not helped.

Please I need a help with this problem... Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

karinjo
Level 4

thanks guy's, I tried everything but problem not dissapeared. I will destroy my vault environment and try again with every component

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

JesusWept3
Level 6
Can you check the Event viewer of the Exchange server you are targeting? it could be that the server is forcefully disconnecting you due to throttling policies and what not? You may also want to try adding your CAS server to either DS Server registry key or the EXchangeGCOverride column within the ExchangeServerEntry table in the Directory database
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

karinjo
Level 4

I checked event viewer of the exchange server and there is no any warnings or errors.

Please can you explain me how to do second part of your post, adding cas server to ds server registry key ???

JesusWept3
Level 6

OK So the DS Server registry can be found detailed here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319206

Log on to the Enterprise Vault server logged in as the EVAdmin/VSA Account
Open up a registry editor and browse to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Exchange Provider
Add a String (REG_SZ) called "DS Server" and give it a value of your CAS Server you wish to target

So a couple of things about DS Server

1. It is not recommended by Microsoft, and in fact maybe removed in later versions of Outlook
  2. It will not work for multi-domain environments, if you are only archiving from a single domain, you'll be ok
  3. It will not work if you are archiving from Exchange 2003 and 2010, it will cause the Exchange 2003 tasks to fail also
  4. All connections to a CAS will now be piped through whatever server you specify here, so if you have a CAS Array name, use the CAS array so as not to overload a single CAS Server with connections

If you do have multiple domains or a mixture of Exchange 2003 and Exchange 2010 then your best bet is to specify the CAS Server as a GC via the ExchangeServerGCOverride column in the database, so you would run the following query instead

USE EnterpriseVaultDirectory
UPDATE ExchangeServerEntry
SET  ExchangeServerGCOverride = 'GC://yourCASServer.domain.com'
WHERE ExchangeComputer = 'yourExchangeServer'

Afterwards, restart your Admin service (Which will restart all EV Services on the box) and then see if that helps the situation.

Also i'm guessing you have Outlook 2007 SP2 installed along with the Performance hotfix released from microsoft?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2475891

karinjo
Level 4

i added in registry this above, but problem still occured...

I already have outlook 2007 sp2 with hotfix

All EVS services are in running status, and provisioning task is in running status.

Only Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task go in failed status., and I still have the same error message in event viewer, under application.

what else I need to do please?

JesusWept3
Level 6

Any possibility you could get a Dtrace of ArchiveTask and post it here?

1. Stop all Archiving tasks
2. Open a command prompt
3. CD to \Program Files\Enterprise Vault\
4. Type "Dtrace" and press Enter
5. Type "set ArchiveTask v" and press Enter
6. Type "log C:\TaskFail.txt" and press Enter
7. Minimize the command prompt
8. Attempt to start the Exchange 2010 task
9. Wait for the error to re-occur
10. Go back to the command prompt and type "Exit"
11. Start the rest of your tasks
12. Zip and upload the dtrace here

karinjo
Level 4

I finished dtrace on my vault server... File is in attachment

Please how to resolve this problem?

JesusWept3
Level 6

Did you uninstall MSMQ?!

Event ID: 3220 Could not detect the MSMQ service.|Error: 0xC00E000B|Check that the MSMQ services are running.  |

The Tasks and Storage service cannot run without MSMQ up and running

karinjo
Level 4

msmq is up and running, sure.

But I need to know one think.

Does the path for msmq storage need to be on clustered disk or on physical disks on both servers? In my case, on both vault servers in cluster, msmq storage path is on E: (physical disk) labeled "DATA", not on clustered disk. Will I change path for msmq storage on disk I: labeled "MSMQ"

Maybe that's the problem? Please see pics in attachment

SHI-CRO
Level 6

MSMQ needs to be a cluster resource in the resource group you're going to use for the EV server.  So you need to add a physical disk resource first (10GB or so) and then add the MSMQ resource to the cluster group using that disk as a dependency.  Looks like you have this done though, so I wouldn't change anything.  I don't think EV will install into a resource group that doesn't have MSMQ already set up.

You can't see the cluster MSMQ queues in the normal computer manager.  Use the ClusterCompMgmt.bat batch file in the EV installation directory to see the clustered message queues.

SHI-CRO
Level 6

Check the registry settings at:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\EnterpriseVaultStorageService and

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\EnterpriseVaultTaskControllerService

You'll see a multi-string value there named DependsOnService.  It probably lists just MSMQ, the non-clustered MSMQ instance.  It should be the resource group MSMQ instance.

If you go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSMQ\Clustered QMs\MSMQ$<MSMQ_resource_name>, you'll see the name of the resource group MSMQ instance.  You'll want to change the value on the two mulit-string values to this name.  This requires a reboot.

If you're using a N+1 or N+2 cluster, you'll probably be okay to just remove MSMQ from the list.  The storage service and task controller resource group services have MSMQ as a dependency, so they won't start without MSMQ anyway.

karinjo
Level 4

thanks guy's, I tried everything but problem not dissapeared. I will destroy my vault environment and try again with every component