cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Enterprise Vault service is not available

APUSNetEng
Level 4

Hello,

Earlier this evening, I performed an upgrade from v9.0.4 to 10.0.2 CHF2.  The upgrade involved moving to new hardware using the server settings migration wizard.  The upgrade itself went smooth with no errors, and archiving, storage and retrieval, and most backend tasks seem to be working without issue.  The problem we're seeing is with Archive Explorerer and the search functions.  When we try to access Archive Explorer, we're setting "The Enterprise Vault service is not available."  This happens with regular user accounts, as well as admins and the Vault service account.  Additionally, browsing with Archive Explorerer results in the following:

The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

The stylesheet does not contain a document element. The stylesheet may be empty, or it may not be a well-formed XML documen...

Clicking the Search Archives button in Outlook brings up a "An error has occurred in the script on this page" message.

We have a case open with Symantec support, but so far we have not been able to resolve the issue.  We've tried reregistering ASP.NET, checking IIS settings, running the deployment scanner, among many other things.  The same configuration works fine in a lab environment.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

APUSNetEng
Level 4

Support suggested this, and it looks like it could be the answer, as the hotfix DLL's are in blocked status.  I'll have more after I try this tonight.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH206012

For reference of anyone else having the issue, the case number is 06333363.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

have you tried reinstalling the EV binaries?

APUSNetEng
Level 4

Support suggested it.  While we are not opposed to doing so, after talking with them for about an hour, we didn't have a lot of confidence it was the most appropriate direction.

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Brian,

Can you check and confirme whether is it realted to the following article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH210600

basically it says that if reporting was installed before upgrade and you did not upgrade and configure the reporting component, when you upgraded the EV Server then this could cause the issue.

As workaround have you tried recycling the Enterprise Vault realted Application pool in IIS.

I hope this helps !!!

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

i've seen that even when its not reporting when someone has installed a really old version of the client and the EVRT.dll is stuck somewhere

As for reinstalling, it's a simple procedure that can resolve a lot of issues, and in a down situation its not going to hurt at all, all the config settings are int he database and they won't get touched, etc ,  but if you're not comfortable with a reinstall you can run filereregister.bat which re-registers all the DLL Files, the servers and assemblies etc

failing that, a dtrace of w3wp would really help

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

APUSNetEng
Level 4

I'm certainly not saying it isn't reporting/EVRT.dll, but we haven't installed any of the reporting modules outside of the default Vault install, and this is a brand new server, so there shouldn't be any old DLL's around.  The four instances of EVRT.dll in the install directory are all v10.0.2.1112.  Is there anywhere else I should be looking?

DTrace from last night is attached.

Thanks!

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As usual JesusWept is more than likely spot on.

That file is a common problem, it is accessed when using the web side of EV and is a common issue after upgrade.

You need to look on EV Servers AND the SQL server for all files named EVRT.dll, check the versions, all you need to do is make sure they are at the highest version.

It can be on another EV Server if you have more than one as well.

If you used to use FSA Reporting this can be part of the reason, if you have the FSA Reporting VD and componens installed, if you still use FSA Reporting then you need to set that up after you have upgraded, if you are no longer using it then you can simply replace all old files with the newer versions or delete the FSAReporting VD and associated folders etc.

Seen many times before and fixed many times in the same way, well worth looking into.

Also reinstallation, although more than likely wont fix it, wont hurt and wont take long, if nothing else it rules it out.

APUSNetEng
Level 4

Thanks.  I double checked everywhere - the file isn't on my SQL server at all, and only appears the four times on my single EV server.  The one in the 64 folder is larger, but has the same version number as the rest (screenshot attached).  We've never had FSA Reporting, other than whatever is installed by default, either.

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The larger size is normal for the 64bit version.

Ok, very strange, especially as you have never had FSAReporting installed.

What have Support tried so far?

Also whats you case number, I will have a look once I am back in the office on Thursday to see if I can offer any advice.

Also, if you have a Dtrace of w3wp like JW3 said that could point us in the right direction.

APUSNetEng
Level 4

Support suggested this, and it looks like it could be the answer, as the hotfix DLL's are in blocked status.  I'll have more after I try this tonight.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH206012

For reference of anyone else having the issue, the case number is 06333363.

APUSNetEng
Level 4

That KB did the trick.  The hotfix was in blocked status when I downloaded it, and the files stayed blocked when they were extracted and pasted into the install directory.  As soon as those files were unblocked and IISReset, everything started working instantly.

Thanks for all the help!