Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling In Exchange 2013

EVKydd
Level 4

EV 10.0.4 HF3

Mixed environment Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2013

I'm trying to move journaling over to new Exchange2013 databases/journaling mailboxes running on dedicated servers. Whenever I make the journalrecipient switch messages start to backup in the delivery queues stating the thread limit has been exceeded. I've tried putting the following keys on the EdgeTransport.exe.config but no dice. I've also made sure the throttling policy applied to the EV system mailbox was set properly.

<add key=”RecipientThreadLimit” value=”2″ />
<add key=”MaxMailboxDeliveryPerMdbConnections” value=”3″ />

I don't have this issue while running on the Exchange 2010 databases/jailboxes, has anyone ran into this throttling issue before?  

13 REPLIES 13

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Have you run the throttling policy script which comes with EV?

Working for cloudficient.com

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

based on what you describe it doesnt sound like EV is a factor if the messages arent even making it to the journal mailbox on the 2013 side. i found an old article that references the keys you tried but it's very old and doesnt reference 2013. if you are server/hardware bound on your new system, you might want to look into SMTP Journal Archiving with EV 11 (instead of the old method of sending all your email to a single mailbox in Exchange and then having an EV task pull them out.)

EVKydd
Level 4

I did that's how I was able to get journaling to work at all on E2013.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Can you share the messages/error you get then relating to the storage queue?

EVKydd
Level 4

We will eventually be upgrading to EV11 but for now we just need to get everything off E2010. The throttling IS on Exchange but I figured it couldn't hurt to see how others are getting around this. We do a high volume of mail/day around 3million split between four journal mailboxes.

AndrewB

in one of the old technotes i read about the keys you mention, it did say that you can increase them to 3 and 4 but again, that was for Exchange 2010. just spitballing here but it could be something else though like you might need more HT servers to handle the load or you might need to seperate the 4 journal mailboxes to multiple mailbox servers. you also might want to revisit the need for 4 seperate journal mailboxes. your EV servers are pretty beefy so maybe you can get away with 2 or 3. the fewer the better imho.

EVKydd
Level 4

We have 39 HT servers in our environment and each of the mailboxes is running on their own server dedicated to journaling. The reason we have 4 journal mailboxes is because we have 4 standalone EV servers each processing a single mailbox. 

Here is the error:

Last Error: 432 4.3.2 STOREDRV.Deliver; recipient thread limit exceeded
Queue ID: \1121
Recipients:  journalingMailbox@domain.com;3;3;[{LRT=};{LED=432 4.3.2 STOREDRV.Deliver;

recipient thread limit exceeded};{FQDN=};{IP=}];0;CN=Evault_JournalDB5

AndrewB

39 HTs but are any of them dedicated to journaling? i'm sure you've already googled the crap out of your error message but i figured i'd post these articles just in case it helps provide some clues. 

http://enterpriseit.co/microsoft-exchange/2010/submission-queue-mailbox-database-thread-limit-exceeded/

http://www.networksteve.com/exchange/topic.php/Probling_with_Throttling_of_Emails_by_Exchange_2013_servers/?TopicId=44328&Posts=3

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What is the size limit of messages in your environment? I have seen companies have an outrageous limit allowed above 20-30 GB causing issues

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I would contact Microsoft, as it would appear that the issue isn't related to EV.

EVKydd
Level 4

So Microsoft came back and said there are 3 things that have to be done and the values set will vary depending on each environment. Here is what we are testing. (You should consult Microsoft to get the values appropriate for your environmenmt.) I will post findings after testing.

Add the following keys to the msexchangedelivery.exe.config and edgetransport.exe.config:

<add key="RecipientThreadLimit" value="3"/>

<add key="MaxMailboxDeliveryPerMdbConnections" value="8"/>

You can choose values based on situation but RecipientThreadLimit should always be at least one fewer than MaxMailboxDeliveryPerMdbConnections.

On the journal hub transport servers:

set-MailboxTransportService -MaxConcurrentMailboxDeliveries 100

set-TransportService -MaxConcurrentMailboxDeliveries 100

After changing the values restart the Transport Delviery Service.

Elio_C
Level 6

Did you ever get this working any better?

Not sure if this applies to EV10 but the below is from the the EV11.0.1 CHF4 readme, is your target domain defined as an FQDN?

Defining an Exchange target domain using the domain flat name caused poor performance for Exchange 2013 archiving [3801638]

In the Administration Console, if you defined an Exchange target domain using only its domain flat name, this caused poor performance for archiving from Exchange 2013 servers. This was most apparent in Exchange journal archiving. For example, if you defined the target domain as exchdom rather than exchdom.local, for connections to an Exchange 2013 server called exchsrv, the Exchange archiving agents tried to use exchsrv.exchdom as the server's FQDN, rather than exchsrv.exchdom.local. This caused delays in name resolution which caused poor archiving performance.

This has been fixed. Enterprise Vault now attempts to determine the correct fully qualified domain name for the Exchange 2013 server during the configuration of MAPI profiles.

EVKydd
Level 4

Microsoft and Veritas came back and said there is a known bug between EV10 and Exchange 2013. Why this isn't in a whitepaper I dont know... MS made a change in how mailboxes handle search folders which are leveraged by EV and ultimatley overruns the mailbox. We will be moving to EV11 CHF4 after the first of the year. I will post back if the issue gets fixed.