cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total number of items awaiting backup is very large ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi,

Can anyone please assist me in troubleshooting the "Total number of items awaiting backupwhich currently sits at 6 million+ items in my EV server ?

11 REPLIES 11

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

how do you backup your vault store partitions? is it file level backup that sets the archive bit or is it array based like snapshots or some sort of replication? if the latter, do you have a trigger file in place? if replication, is your device supported by EV? also check the setting on your partitions to make sure it matches your backup type.

Cdee
Level 6

Same question as  asked by Andrew if backup is been set using Trigger file in place then you might need to check this article again.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35610

John_Santana
Level 6

The backup is using HP Data Protector v6.2 I have include the PRE and POST backup script in my backup job, but somehow it doesn't reduce to 0 ?

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We really need to know how EV is configured to determine backup.  On the Vault Store partition properties look at the Backup tab, what do you have set there?  Archive bit or trigger file?

If Archive bit, HP Data Protector may not be configured to remove that so check your configuration on that.

If trigger file, the process to delete the old and create a new one needs to be verified.

HTH,

GertjanA

John,

Below is provided you use the triggerfile.

Your pre- and post backup script use the powershell commands I presume.

I know there was an issue with using powershellscript setting/clearing backup mode on site-level and the triggerfile. If you use Vault Store Group (or Vault store) that does work.

An easy test is to verify the extention of the triggerfile in the locatins. If it is .old, then it is being processed. If it is txt, then not.

Be advised that if you use the triggerfile, you need to create it new everytime, not copy it. The 'clear backup' stuff checks for the date and time of the triggerfile, and assumes everything before that date and time is backed up. If you copy the file, it keeps the old date/time, so never processes newer items..

Regards. Gertjan

John_Santana
Level 6

Gertjan, yes I'm using the Powershell Pre and Post backup script.

GertjanA

Hello John,

The question basically is: in your powershell script, do you set backup on site level, or on VSG or VS?

If on sitelevel, can you try using setting it on VSG or VS?

Regards. Gertjan

John_Santana
Level 6

I can see that in the console is set at the Storage Group level, correct me if I'm wrong, where can I see the Powershell script ? because I don't set it myself so I'm not sure.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

it would either be set as a scheduled task or as a pre or post backup script which is called from the backup job.

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi Tony, I'm using the Archive bit.

LeeO
Level 3

We had the same Issue,  I found that the post backup script would set EV into normal mode (i.e. not in backup mode) and then immediatley the script would restart the storage service.

This meant that as EV was starting to use the trigger file to reset all the archived items, (and therefore the trigger file was set to .old) when the storage service was restarted, the trigger file didn't exist and therefore it would not work.

There was no reason to stop and start the Storage service, so I removed that from the script and it worked perfectly.

Hope that makes sense.