Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger file on Worm with NetApp

GBU
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi,

following installation. 

EV 10.0.4. with Windows 2008, Vault Store on a NetApp filer with SnapLock. (WORM).

The EV status logs an error that the scan can't perfom and 263462 savsets are not backuped yet. The NetApp backedup for sure. (Not with BE or NB)

Is it possible to write the ignoretriggerfile.txt to an other place because on a WORM doesn't make sense. I have not the possibility to change the partition backup settings to "Use archibe attribute" because it's a NetApp and with SnapLock. That isn't allowed on this configuration.

Thanks for a hint.

Gerd

7 REPLIES 7

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Is that just your gut feeling, or do you know that it does not work?

Because AFAIK a file only gets "SnapLocked" if you set the date of the file to something in the future. So your normal trigger file should not get snaplocked, I think?

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi,

With Worm device you have only one option to use trigger file.. because with EV 8.0 onwards EV will keep throught those critical event in the status tab as it won't clear the backlog from the watchfile table untill it is backed-up..

As per my knowledge we cannot write the ignoretriggerfile.txt to an other place, you have to create it on the Wormdevice..

Sorry not much of help this time, but this is by design..

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi GBU,

Since this is a WORM device (Write-Once-Read-Many) the trigger file or the archive bit doesn't make much sense. If you are using Snaplock, I think you are using SnapMirror (or SyncMirror for real time synchronization). Your option here would be to switch IgnoreBackup from False to True in the Enterprise Vault Directory database. Doing this, Enterprise Vault will ignore any backups for this particular partition. Of course, you need to make sure that you are running backups (with SnapShots or Snapmirror/SyncMirror) to secure your data. Take a look at this technote:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH68494

I hope this helps.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi GBU,

Do you have any updates on this thread? Do you need more assistance regarding this topic? If not, please mark the post that best solves your problem as the answer to this thread.

GBU
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi guys, 

I'm sorry for this late response but I was in vatcation the last days. :)

So GabeV, that was helpfull to distroy the critical event information. Thanks also all other. Obviously we have a look to the backup. ;)

Gerd

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey GBU.

If Gabe was able to address your concners can you please flag the posting as a solution so that this is marked as resolved and does not becon people who are trying to help to review it.

Many thanks.

GBU
Level 3
Partner Accredited

So a happy new year,

back out of my vacation I'm able to answer your postings. Thank in advance for that help.

At the moment the solution to set the switch IgnoreBackup from False to True was a solution. Nevertheless I have the event 41008 "New items awaiting backup or replication" still there. BUT the items are not 7 million rather than 160.000 items. I hope that will shrink in the next time. 

Thanks

Gerd