cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning on expiry after three years

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

EV904

Our paralegals have their litigation cases all entered into DA, to protect content from expiry. We finally have our go-ahead to enable expiry on our journal archive. The thing is - it's approaching 150M items. Whether I run expiry in report mode or real mode, all journal scraping stops. It acts like while expiry is processing, the system disallows any new additions. 

We have had expiry running on our mailbox archive for some time, and I had it set to always run. I'm wondering if I need to trim those times down, or if the initial journal archive "figure out what can be allowed to expire" process just needs to process, and journal scraping will just have to wait. 

Other than the 7085 or 7086 events that the expiry process generates, is there any other way to see if the expiry calculations are actually occuring, or what kind of progess it's making? If I utilize DTRACE, which item is worth monitoring?

As always, thank you for any insight!

Aaron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NaturesRevenge,

I've been in the same situation as you. I had a little more items to expire though :)

I had the same experience as you did. How we 'fixed' it was more or less as follows.

Make sure the SQL server has as much RAM and Processors as possible. Do not run expiry during scheduled archiving runs. Make sure the advised SQL maintenance is being done properly, and EVERY day, whilst not expiring, nor archiving (ie during backup mode, either before or after the backup of SQL). Create a NEW Journal mailbox and a NEW journal archive, preferably in a new VSG/VS and start journaling and archiving from and to that one. Upgrade to 9.05 as advised, because that improved expiry tremendously.

If necessary, stop expiry for a day or so, to allow EV to catch up on other work. And, monitor, monitor, monitor.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

I would recommend that you determine that period of time in which your Journal archiving is lower and set expiry to run in that window.  This was you can minimize the impact whilst still getting expiration of old data.  It will take a longer period of time to get expiry caught up but with minimal risk.

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

The thing is, there is no time where our message flow dies down. If anything, the volume is higher at night than during business hours, due to automatic message systems. Am I right though? Is scraping actually halted while expiration tasks are processing?

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

The archiving process does not stop during expiry, its probably are resource limitation on the server.  Many environment run expiry on the weekends in addition to, or instead of daily windows.   

I would monitor my server activity, archiving volumes, CPU and Memory and determine what the most opportune times to schedule expiry and any resource utilization that I might be able to impact (added CPU or memory). 

plaudone
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

NaturesRevenge, 

You may want to look into 9.0.5 as the following is addressed per the Updates_en.htm file.   Also, ensuring that proper DB maintenance is performed should help performance.  The expiry process will be fairly intensive and can cause slow downs in other operations as it performing delete operations within the DB.  

In some circumstances, storage expiry performance was low [3027492]

In some circumstances, the Storage Expiry Report event logged by the Storage service showed that storage expiry performance was low.

The performance of storage expiry has been improved.

Regards,

Patrick 

plaudone
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Some articles to review- 

- How to Automatically Backup and Perform Recommended Maintenance for Enterprise Vault (EV), Compliance Accelerator (CA), and Discovery Accelerator (DA) SQL databases: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74666

- Routine monitoring and maintenance for the Enterprise Vault environment: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74591

- Recommended steps to optimize performance on Enterprise Vault (EV), Compliance Accelerator (CA), Discovery Accelerator (DA), and SQL Servers in an EV environment http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56172

- TCP Chimney, TCPIP Offload Engine (TOE) or TCP Segmentation Offload (TSO) will cause a transport-level error to be logged resulting in inaccurate hit counts for Accelerator searches: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55653

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NaturesRevenge,

I've been in the same situation as you. I had a little more items to expire though :)

I had the same experience as you did. How we 'fixed' it was more or less as follows.

Make sure the SQL server has as much RAM and Processors as possible. Do not run expiry during scheduled archiving runs. Make sure the advised SQL maintenance is being done properly, and EVERY day, whilst not expiring, nor archiving (ie during backup mode, either before or after the backup of SQL). Create a NEW Journal mailbox and a NEW journal archive, preferably in a new VSG/VS and start journaling and archiving from and to that one. Upgrade to 9.05 as advised, because that improved expiry tremendously.

If necessary, stop expiry for a day or so, to allow EV to catch up on other work. And, monitor, monitor, monitor.

Regards. Gertjan

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

Thank you for all of these suggestions!