cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT: Move Indexes (EV7.5)

ratty
Level 3

Guys,

Have an index volume I:\ with 8 index folders (Index01 - Index08). This volume is near capacity with no ability to be extended.

I was under the impression that I could create another volume (J:\) and then move the indexes. I was not trying to move all the indexes - just Index08.  I followerd TECH35596 but this did not work.  Is that because this process is for moving the whole volume ?

What is the correct procedure so I can move only Index08 ?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i always use the service account for engineering tasks like this which are beyond the normal day to day administration of the system

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

TECH35596 is the correct technote.  Do you see 8 entries in the IndexRootPathEntry table?  You would just need to change the record for Index08 to be the new location.

ratty
Level 3

John, thanks for the reply.

This was done - I did only modify the entry for the moved folder.

Using a user whose archive used this folder, a search for everything produced no results. Checking through the VAC and the users archive index volumes still pointed to the old location.

AndrewB

did you restart the Indexing Service after making the changes in sql?

ratty
Level 3

Hi AndrewB,

Yes - without success. Then I restarted all services with no result either.

ratty
Level 3

Dunno if this changes anything but the index folder I am trying to move (Index08) is CLOSED.

I am unsure if at step 10 that the new index location was seen in the Indexing Service but the test searches definitely did not work, as was looking at an individual archive that was using this index location.

ratty
Level 3

Do I need to be logged in as the service account, or should a delegated admin be ok ?

How long should it take once I have restarted the Index service ?  I am likely to have 500+ archives using this index location - could the issue be that the system was catching up after the change ie I performed my checks/searches too early post-change ?

AndrewB

i always use the service account for engineering tasks like this which are beyond the normal day to day administration of the system

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

It actually sounds like the Index08 folder wasn't copied across to the new location properly and as soon as you ran a search, it tried to update the index.

You did copy or move the index to the new location you specified in the SQL db?

ratty
Level 3

I tried the process again using the service account and it was a success.

I am unsure if this was the cause, or whether I actually did modify an incorrect entry in the SQL database (I was sure I double checked that on the day).

Either way I am very happy that it has now worked.

Thanks for all your help.