cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to backup Vault Store Database

siddiqir
Level 4

I am having problem backing up "Vault Store DB (SQLServer/EVExchangeVaultStore)" after Enterprise Vault migration to new server. Everything seems to be working fine. I can backup other EV things but cannnot back Vault Store DB. I only migrated to new server. The EV version did not change.

EV 9.0.4

Windows 2008 R2

Backup Exec 2010 R3

SQL 2008 R2

Any input?

24 REPLIES 24

siddiqir
Level 4

Here is the path I cannot backup.

EV-SIT::\\EV\SQLServer\evsite1\Default Upgrade Group\Exchange Vault Store

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what error are you getting?

you might want to post in the backup exec forum as well

siddiqir
Level 4

Final error: 0xe0009504 - For the Backup Exec Enterprise Vault Agent, the Enterprise Vault services are not responding to commands sent by Backup Exec. Ensure that the Enterprise Vault Directory Service is running.
Final error category: Resource Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38148

AndrewB

here's a technote that has the exact same error. 

Backups of a Vault Store database on an Enterprise Vault site fail with 0xe0009504 when one of the member servers is no longer accessible.
http://www.veritas.com/docs/000021055

Applies To

This issue has been observed in Environments where Enterprise Vault was being migrated to a 64 bit Windows server to accommodate an upgrade from EV 8.x or 9.x to EV 10 per http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141481Resource fall-back works successfully on all resources other than the Vault Store database.

To resolve this issue and receive the new Backup Exec improvements please upgrade to the current version of Backup Exec.

siddiqir
Level 4

Any workarounds? I am planning to update backup exec in near future. Getting new server however just need to get backup going with existing version. One thing I did notice

The old server has two partitions D:\ and E:\ and data was on both partitions. On new Windows 2008 R2 server everying thing was copied to one partition (E:\). I am not sure if it has some thing to do with an error. Here is what I see in pdf

If you store any data locally on the source Enterprise Vault server, you must copy

or move it to the same locations on the target server. For example, if your vault

store partitions are on the E:\ drive on the source server, you must copy the data

to the E:\ drive on the target server.

AndrewB

that very well could be part of it too. in terms of workarounds, since you changed EV in the way technote specifically says, maybe you can trick BE by uninstalling all your agents, deleting the backup policies, remove the computers from BE, and recreate everything from a clean start?

siddiqir
Level 4

Yes, I already tried that. It looks like there is referece some where which is not allowing to back just this

EV-SIT::\\EV\SQLServer\evsite1\Default Upgrade Group\Exchange Vault Store

Vault Store DB (SQLServer/EVExchangeVaultStore)

AndrewB

did you make the necessary updates in EV to accomodate for the drive letter change?

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited

is your new EV server allowed to run scripts?

siddiqir
Level 4

Yes. I also noticed when I backup index and store partition the EV goes in backup mode.

siddiqir
Level 4

Yes, updated enterprisevaultdirectory computerentry in SQL

Do I need to update any other location?

AndrewB

yes because you said you changed the drive letter of your partitions from D to E. http://www.veritas.com/docs/000028294

i see you also wrote this: "Well, I changed it but when I go now to verify they are not correct. The computer root back is incorrect, cache location is incorrect and also fileservermangement. Any idea?"

make sure all the entries in sql are correct, restart the EV services, and check the EV event logs for any errors.

siddiqir
Level 4

Yes sorry, I was looking at old EV SQL server. The new SQL has all correct is good for computerentry. I also just verified the drive letter as per arctice 000028294 and they are correct.

AndrewB

in case it's trying to contact the old sql server for some reason, you should go in to the ODBC settings (odbcad32.exe both 32bit and 64bit under C:\windows\SysWOW64 and C:\windows\system32) and delete any old references to the sql server.

since the technote says that resource fallback works on everything but the vault store database, i think you're going to have to look at the BE logs more carefully and identify what it's failing on.

siddiqir
Level 4

Which server? I think I need to do above on Backup Exec server? Please let me know. So I have three servers - EV, SQL with EV DBs and Backup Exec. Thx

JimmyNeutron
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You mention a new sql server. Are all service account permissions set on this new sql server?

AndrewB

odbc - on the EV application server.

backup logs - BE server

siddiqir
Level 4

Yes, on new SQL server the EV service account has dbcreator role. The SQL EV DBs were migrated two weeks ago to new SQL server. The backups were working fine with new SQL and old EV server. After migration to new EV server the backup stop working.

siddiqir
Level 4

OK. I am getting an error when going into odbc and click on backup exec entry in system dsn

the setup routines for the backup exec catalog driver odbc driver could not be loaded due to the system error code 126: the specified module could not be found (becatdrv.dll)

May be this is an issue

Actually, I cannot even add new. It throwing an error.