cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create an Outlook profile on the EV server

roaryT
Level 4

Hi,

For some reason I cannot create an Outlook profile for the VSA on the EV server using Outlook 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003 SP2 and EV 8.5.

The error is;

The name could not be resolved.  The bookmark is not valid.

I can confirm that DNS is working fine and the name of the exchange server can be resolved.  Have tried the FQDN as well.

Strange thing is I had previously created the profile successfully but in trying to troubleshoot mailbox task startup issues one of the things to try was the delete and recreate the VSA profile.  Therefore, I did this and now I get this error when I try to create it again.

So I also had issues with permissions on the VSA mailbox but these are correct now but obviously I need the create the profile for the task to work.

Googling the error points to various potential issues but none relevant to my scenario so hence, putting this out to anyone on this forum whom may have seen it before?

Cheers,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roaryT
Level 4

Issue resolved.  A security group membership had been removed which changed the way it was displayed in the GAL.  Still stange as you'd have thought this would have prevented the profile working from every machine.

Anyhow thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Don't suppose you've hidden the mailbox have you?

But really this is something to do with the Global Address List (GAL) or the Offline Address Book (OAB), most scenarios that have been reported on the internet that i can see suggest that the mailbox store is missing the OAB and this is whats causing the error

Would suggest looking in to that more, so for instance can you connect to anyone listed in the same mailbox store (i.e. is it only the VSA you can't connect to or are there more users you can't connect to?)

Are you able to connect from any other machines?
What happens if you try connecting through Outlook Web Access?

Really though if you can't see anything obvious or the best practice scanner can't see anything obvious i would suggest calling microsoft as this is purely an Outlook and Exchange issue (more leaning towards Exchange than anything else)

Check out this article:
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Offline-Address-Book-Best-Practice.html

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Is this Exchange 2003?

You might need to wait until the Recipient Update Service did it's work, this might take a while. (Should be done by now... try again?)

Are you able to log into the mailbox using OWA?

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

There a whole bunch of topics out there on the internet which talk about this issue.  It seems not just "One thing" to fix it, but lots of different things to try, and some of them eventually led to a resolution.

I would first of all suggest trying to create a profile on a local laptop/desktop, and see if that works.  That'll mean permissions at the mailbox level, GC's, and address book level are all okay... and you can then troubleshoot the remaining issues on the EV server itself.

Working for cloudficient.com

roaryT
Level 4

Thanks for the input however, I can confirm that the no other mailbox works from the EV server.  I must add the EV server is remote to the customer but on the same network.  Locally at the customer I can create a mail account fine using the VSA.  I can rule out the build on the EV server as we have two backend EV servers and the profile failed on both.  Something on the network between EV and the Exchange server is causing this just cant find it yet. 

roaryT
Level 4

Issue resolved.  A security group membership had been removed which changed the way it was displayed in the GAL.  Still stange as you'd have thought this would have prevented the profile working from every machine.

Anyhow thanks for your help.