cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to delete Shortcuts

electric
Level 2

I hope that you guys can help me with this one...

We have EV 7.0 and are archiving mails from a hosted Exchange 2003 environment which is located in a resource domain.  EV is working fine with no apparent issues other then the fact that shortcuts are not being deleted as they reach 24 months of age. 

We have retention set to  'forever' and the policies in question are all set to delete shortcuts at 2 years of age. 

I have also set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\EnterpriseVault\Agents\ShortcutDeleteNow  value to 1 and run the Mailbox Archiving Task.  It still does not remove any shortcuts. 

Consequently we are receiving "Mailbox is full" msgs from Exchange, which is embarrassing since we told the business that this would be a thing of the past. 

I hope that someone here can help me troubleshoot this.

thank you

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Have the items been archived for two years or is it that the items were sent/recieved two years ago?

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Electric

What Tony wants to say is that EV deletes shortcuts based on SHORTCUT age. That is, when the E-Mail was archived (and thus a shortcut was created), and NOT when the e-mail was sent/received. 

So, if you received the e-mail on 1.1.2005, and the e-mail was archived on 1.1.2007, then the shortcut will be deleted on 1.1.2009 (based on your 2 years).

Cheers

Michel 

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

electric
Level 2

Thank you for your responses.

The emails are dated over two years old from the date against the email, not the date they were archived.  We only started using EV this year in February 2008.  Is there any way that I can get EV to act upon mails as they reach 24 months of age based upon the Email date, not the archive date?

MarkB_2
Level 4
This may help (you didn't state which service pack of EV) - http://support.veritas.com/docs/287569

beta_dodo
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

Shortcut expiry will base itself on the same 'date' as storage expiry.  So if you are expirying items based upon archived date then shortcut expiry will also be based upon it.

So if you expire based upon 'modified date' then it will use the sent/received date of the message and therefore be old enough to delete the shortcuts but remember it affects expiry of the stored data too.