cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to delete a Vault Folder

jamessands
Level 3
I am using Enterprise Vault version 8
  • When testing File archiving I wrongly ticked the box in the retention category to prevent deletion of archived items in this folder.
  • Befoer knowing this, I deleted the archived folders in EVA to undo my testing
  • Now it is set as Marked for Deletion with a red cross by it but it is not getting deleted
  • In the Enterprise Vault Event logs I periodically get the error Event id 7113 saying the following archive could not be deleted because it contains items that are on hold, or their retention category...
  • My issue is that I tested quite heavily and so have all these vaults that will not get deleted until the retention period is up which is 7 years. I know this is correct behaviour but it doesn;t help my problem which was of course caused by me
I can think of two ways that may fix this. Can anyone help? Below are the ways I've logically thought of but don't know are possible:
  1. I have the ArchiveID of the folders. Does anyone know the table in the SQL database that holds the rentetion period for a particular folder. My thinking is to script a change that would change this period to say 5 days?? Or if it calls a retention id then create a retnetion period of say 5 days and assign it to the problem folders?
  2. Can I archive the same folders from test but change the rentention period? Or does the archive folder retain the rentention period when it was first set up?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Just uncheck the box and restart the admin service.  That should be good enough.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
What is the storage device?

Have you unchecked the box that prevents the deletion?

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
James

As tony suggests, you should be able to uncheck the tickbox under retention category management.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

jamessands
Level 3
Even though they have been archived already?  Would I have to set up an archive again or just uncheck the box on my retention period.

Woudl I have to run some sort of syncronisation?

btw my storage is an EMC Clarion CX4 120

TonySterling
Just uncheck the box and restart the admin service.  That should be good enough.

jamessands
Level 3
I've tried what you guys said and am waiting on the results. I have not got the Event error 7113 stating it cannot delete the archive items but neither has it deleted the items. The items are very big so I'm guessing that they take time to delete because off all the metedata that's contained about them. I'll let you know how I get on.

If this works I'll be delighted because its much simplier than what I thought I'd have to do

jamessands
Level 3
That's the archived items starting to delete. I'm glad I never choose my over elaberate solution.

Thank you for your guidence. I can't believe the fix was so simple. Is it ever in IT?

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
James

Can you mark a post as the Solution if you're satisfied with it?

Both, simple and complex solutions need knowledge, which not everyone can afford, either because of time constraints, or "I just got handed over something called "Enterprise Vault"-things.... :)

But that's why we are here, to help you out on that. ;)
Keep coming back, and we'll greatly enhance your EV experience!

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.