cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to migrate PSTs into vaults

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

I am running this script to migrate a couple of PSTs into vaults whose associated mailbox and user account has been deleted. I am getting this error message "error creating privileged mapi session". The account I am running the script under has full rights to the vaults, is it failing because the mailboxes and user IDs have been deleted? Thank you.

[Directory]

directorycomputername = USATL01MA224
sitename = AMERVAULT01

[PSTdefaults]

;
;Default option settings applicable to all PST migrations
;

PSTLanguage=Western European
MailboxFolder = PST Migrations
MigrationMode = PROCESS
IncludeDeletedItems = true
SetPSTHidden = true
SetPSTReadOnly = true
MergePSTFolders = false
ShortCutMode = NoShortcuts

;
;Individual PST migration settings
;

[PST]
Archivename = 1C032497833C1654491EEBB626803A2991110000AMERVAULT01
fileName = \\USATL01MA224\PSTUserFolder\xNoMailbox\BethGreene\BOVIS1.pst

Archivename = 1B56FA01590B51041B0C58F51AEADE8EE1110000AMERVAULT01
fileName = \\USATL01MA224\PSTUserFolder\xNoMailbox\CharlesPurdham\Z-Crane.pst

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

After some testing it seems that EV will NOT import PST data into a vault unless the vault has an existing mailbox. I tried with the EV administrator, the separate PST Migrator program and EVPM. The only way to import PST data into a vault without a mailbox is to give another account write access to the vault, import the PST into that account's mailbox and manually store the PST data into the vault of the terminated user using Outlook. Not very practical when you find a hundred PSTs belonging to ex-employees whose accounts and mailboxes are long gone. Unless I am missing something, I find it incredible that EV is in version 9 and Symantec has yet to resolve this problem.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

do you have the full error we can see?
usually mapi sessions is an issue with Global catalogs and the system mailbox

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

I'm a fool. I just realized I was using an old exchange server and ev system mailbox name in the script. Sorry. Thanks for the quick resposne though. 

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

Looks like I spoke too soon. I entered the correct exchange server and system account into the command: EVPM -e usatl01me200 -m EVSysME200 -f "D:\EVPM Scripts\MigratePST.INI" but I think I still need a mailbox associated to the vaults in order to import the PSTs. The import still fails with "Error locating the mailbox filter settings for mailbox ..." I attached the screen shot and the log. Looks like EV will not import a PST into a vault unless it has a mailbox? BTW: I am running EV 9.0.1 for Exchange.

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

After some testing it seems that EV will NOT import PST data into a vault unless the vault has an existing mailbox. I tried with the EV administrator, the separate PST Migrator program and EVPM. The only way to import PST data into a vault without a mailbox is to give another account write access to the vault, import the PST into that account's mailbox and manually store the PST data into the vault of the terminated user using Outlook. Not very practical when you find a hundred PSTs belonging to ex-employees whose accounts and mailboxes are long gone. Unless I am missing something, I find it incredible that EV is in version 9 and Symantec has yet to resolve this problem.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You can import into a shared archive though right?

How have you "created" this archive (that you then can't import into) ?

Working for cloudficient.com

Leonardo_Fern1
Level 6

We don't use shared archives. Archives are created when a user's mailbox is archive-enabled. When the user leaves the company, the mailbox and user id are eventually deleted but the archive remains. Unfortunately sometime we find PSTs belonging to the ex-employee and we have to import them into the archive. These are the archives that I cannot import PSTs into because they can't be provisioned, because they don't have a mailbox. I actually spoke to symantec tech support a few years ago regarding when I was running 7.5 and they confirmed it. I was hoping it was "fixed" by version 9. The work around is to give myself rights to the archive, import the PST into my mailbox and manually vault it to the archive. very tedious and time consuming.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Yes you're right, it's not very good.  I would agree with that. 

Best I can "offer" is that you log an idea in the Ideas section of the forum (they're "officially" checked by Product Management)

Working for cloudficient.com