cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open shortcuts when moved/copied to shared mailbox or public folder

thomas_lauster
Level 3
Certified

I need a solution to prevent users to move or copy EV shortcuts to shared mailboxes or public folders.
Since the Enterprise Vault archive task updates only moved/copied items within the own archive, we see often permission problems, when users try to open shortcuts in shared mailboxes. The cause of this is always the same: moved or copied shortcuts from an users mailbox. It is not easy to identify whether the shortcuts are ok, or not, or to which archive they belong, and Enterprise Vault does not handle the “bad” shortcuts as orphaned ones.  
Several technotes says: you have to train the users to prevent this situation. But since it is a very common way to share information by moving or copying mail items between mailboxes, the users are doing this as well with shortcuts. Why is Enterprise Vault not able to handle this correctly?
So we need at least a solution, which allows users to move or copy shortcuts within their own mailboxes, but not to shared mailboxes or public folders. How can we achive this?
We are using  V9.0.2 and Outlook 2010 and plan to upgrade to V11; does V11 still have the same behavior?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The behavior is the same in EV 11.  It really comes down to an Exchange issue to prevent the message class from being copied into the public folder.  I am pretty sure you can block messages from public folders based on subject but I don't think you can block them based on message class.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The behavior is the same in EV 11.  It really comes down to an Exchange issue to prevent the message class from being copied into the public folder.  I am pretty sure you can block messages from public folders based on subject but I don't think you can block them based on message class.

thomas_lauster
Level 3
Certified

This is correct, Exchange is not the right way to handle this. It is a EV shortcut problem, and has to be fixed by Enterprise Vault.

So this means, there is nothing planned within future EV releases, to correct this? I think many other Enterpris Vault users must have this problem! I wonder, why there are not more posts about this problem. For me this is one of the bigest negative issues in Enterprise Vault.

In my opinion, the archive task should be able to identify shortcuts, if they belong to a "foreign" archive. It would be great, if the Enterprise Vault developers can integrate a new function to the Archive task, which is able to identify such “foreign” shortcuts, and add/generate the corresponding DB entries; then, these items must be visible as well by Archive Explorer and Search and can be processed like all other shortcuts.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It's more of a user training issue if anything else
Because if the user moves a shortcut to a public folder or another archive that is not targeted by Enterprise Vault, then the Archive Task couldn't do anything anyway, because it shouldn't be scanning a source that you tell it not to scan.

You can submit the idea in the Ideas section and product management will look at it and evaluate the use case. Get people to upvote it etc, but for now, would suggest working on end user documentation asking them to restore the item before moving it in to another source which other users may not have read/write access to their archive

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

thomas_lauster
Level 3
Certified

I can not agree with that; our users will say: "if moving/copying shortcuts to other Mailboxes can generate errors, the software must not allow to do this!" And they where correct...

Anyway, thanks for Your answers; i thinking about to post it to the Ideas section...

I make for users one searchfolder for their send and received emails in ther virtual vault. When an user moves from his live-inbox or sentbox shortcuts toma shared mailboxfolder without restoring them, then they will see the email still appearing in this searchfolder!