cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding on how and what EV archives from various SharePoint content type?

Sharad_Sharma
Level 3

Hello,

We are running EV 10.0.4 Cumulative Hot Fix 3.0 for Exchange Mailbox, File Server and SharePoint archiving.

As we are planning to roll-out SharePoint archiving, we are getting several queries many of which points to the basic understanding of - What exactly does EV archive from various SharePoint content types?

After searching on EV forum and analysing available documentation the core methodology is still unclear apparently because the EV SharePoint module is relatively new introduction.

It would be very helpful to us and in general to other customers if someone can provide a clear idea about following queries for each EV supported SharePoint content type:

1. What is archived and removed from SharePoint?
  2. What are the contents of Short-cuts?
  3. Will archiving action or short-cut creation influence the SharePoint audit logs?

List of currently supported SharePoint content types:

• Announcements
  • Blog
  • Contacts
  • Custom List
  • Discussion Board
  • Issue Tracking
  • Links
  • Tasks
  • Digital Asset Library
  • Document Library
  • Form Library
  • Picture Library
  • Slide Library
  • Wiki Page Library

Regards,

Sharad Sharma

4 REPLIES 4

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Sharad,

Please find the answers inline.

Following queries for each EV supported SharePoint content type:

1.     What is archived and removed from SharePoint?

• At scheduled times, Enterprise Vault automatically copies content from the SharePoint server and stores it in Enterprise Vault SharePoint archives. Archived content can be left on the SharePoint server or deleted, as required. Shortcuts can also be created on the SharePoint server for certain content. You use the SharePoint policy to configure deleting the original content and creating shortcuts.
  • The archiving of items and creation of shortcuts in their place usually results in space saving. However, in SharePoint 2013, the shredded storage means that this space saving may be reduced.
  • If versioning is enabled for a document library, you can configure the number of versions of a document that need to remain on the SharePoint server after archiving. The archived version history link enables users to view the archived versions of the item and lets them restore items where applicable.

2.     What are the contents of Short-cuts?

• Original file not deleted – overwritten by shortcut
  • Shortcut therefore has same name and url as the original
  • Content replaced by “EVSTUB” (6 bytes)
  • Shortcuts do not have custom EV icons, that means the original file icon is preserved/kept.
  • Only visible difference is file size of 1K

So for Ex: If we archive a Doc.txt file then the shortcut content will be

Name: Doc.txt

Content:   EVSTUB

Metadata:  Title: Sample Doc

<EV Custom Properties>

3.     Will archiving action or short-cut creation influence the SharePoint audit logs?

• I don’t think so but not sure.

List of currently supported SharePoint content types:

·         Announcements  -> Yes

·         Blog -> Yes

·         Contacts -> Yes

·         Custom List -> Yes

·         Discussion Board -> Yes

·         Issue Tracking -> Yes

·         Links -> Yes

·         Tasks -> Yes

·         Digital Asset Library -> Yes

·         Document Library -> Yes

·         Form Library -> Yes

·         Picture Library -> Yes

·         Slide Library -> Yes

·         Wiki Page Library -> Yes

Enterprise Vault does not create shortcuts when you archive the following:

1. A document library that has document publishing enabled; that is, if the document library is configured for minor versions.
  2. A document library or a list that has content approval enabled.
  3. A document library that has the check-out requirement enabled.
  4. SharePoint Records Center sites.
  5. An item that is marked as a record.
  6. SharePoint publishing sites or wikis.
  7. A list that has versioning enabled.
  8. A list that has moderation enabled.
  9. A list item with a workflow that starts when an item is changed.
  10. Read-only closed site collections.

I hope this helps !!!

Regards,

A_J

Sharad_Sharma
Level 3

Hello A_J,

First of all I thank you for your reply and it helps in terms of a summarized understanding of how EV archiving works for SharePoint.

However I am sorry for apparently my question may not have been clear enough.

I will give few examples on what we need to understand:

• Announcements
    • What is archived and removed from SharePoint?
    • What are the contents of Short-cuts?
    • Will archiving action or short-cut creation influence the SharePoint audit logs?
  • Blogs
    • Will archiving action or short-cut creation influence the SharePoint audit logs?
  • Contacts
  • etc...

The qerry that we are facing is-

What happens when e.g. Blog entry or Wiki is archived - is it just attachments which will be archive if available or is it complete entry?

If non-attachement based content is archived from various content types does the archived content also preserves content formatting and styles etc.?

I trust above examples highlights what information we are looking for.

Best Regards,

Sharad_Sharma
Level 3

Hello,

Refering to my post and comment on A_J's response can someone provide more details as to how various content types in SharePoint are archived by EV.

As against Email or File Server archiving, this clear understanding is missing for SharePoint and neither could I find it in documentation.

Best Regards,

dascott
Level 4
Employee Accredited

For List content we archive the list item, blog, discussion etc. content.  We only shortcut the attachments (since the original list item is comparatively small).   So you end up with the full item in the archive which allows the deletion of the item in SharePoint if desired.  If you wish to simply save space, you can just replace the attachments with shortcuts.

In the case of discussions, we archive the entire discussion (i.e. Post and all replies is archived as a single entity instead of archiving the individual post and replies separately).  This provides the full context of the item in the archive.   If new replies are added during subsequent archive runs then the item will be updated in the archive (unless on WORM storage in which case a second full discussion is archived with the new content).