cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding the Total amount of archived item size in all EV vaults ?

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi All,

My current Symantec Enterprise Vault server, usage from: http://<EV-Server-Name>/enterpriseVault/usage.asp is as follows:

Enterprise Vault - Vault Store Usage Information:

Total number of Vault Stores: 1
Total number of Active Archives: 1,984
Total number of items: 89,632,013
Total size of items: 18,391,974 MB
Average size of items: 266 KB
Total number of items awaiting backup: 9,236,566

My questions are:

• Total number of Active Archives: is this the number of mailbox or .PST when I export all ?
  • Total size of items: is this the total disk space that I will require when all those .PST files exported to removable USB HDD ?
  • Total number of items awaiting backup: Is this the number of email in Exchange Server that waiting to be archived to EV ?

Note: I'm running Enterprise Vault Version: 11.0.1.3683 and the SQL Server is on separate server.

Thanks in advance,

J

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

There is an explanation of the meaning of the report here: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH35741

I would say one thing about the size. EV has two sizes compressed, and original size. I'm not sure which of those two it's showing. However, PST files are notoriously 'bloaty' of data. So, if the figure in the report is the original size, you are likely to need almost TWICE that when it comes to PST files.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Yes, you need one Vaultstore open. 

Open means physical data can be written to that machine.

If data cannot be written they queue up.

But "awaitiing backups" tells you that the trigger file wasn't created for a longer time.

Check backup and triggerfile "created date"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

There is an explanation of the meaning of the report here: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH35741

I would say one thing about the size. EV has two sizes compressed, and original size. I'm not sure which of those two it's showing. However, PST files are notoriously 'bloaty' of data. So, if the figure in the report is the original size, you are likely to need almost TWICE that when it comes to PST files.

@Rob_Wilcox1, thanks for the reply,

Is it because the item displayed in the Usage.ASP is the deduplicated and compressed size ?

I don't remember whether the usage report shows compressed size or original size.

EVEN if it shows the original size, then, PSTs will still likely be (roughly) twice that size. It's the nature of PSTs.

Thanks for the clarification @Rob_Wilcox1 I will prepare the largest USB removable HDD possible on the market that I can found and then stage the export process by name or size if it is possible.

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi,

are you assure that you have 9 mio Items that need to be backed up to be archived?

Are you using the archive bit trigger?

You might want to check the savesets to make the awaiting items process. Unless you are planning somthing else.

@CConsult Yes, that's true I have that many items awaiting backup.

Yes, I'm using Trigger file, check every 60 minutes.

I've found out that there is no open VaultStore, is that the case why it is that big ?

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Yes, you need one Vaultstore open. 

Open means physical data can be written to that machine.

If data cannot be written they queue up.

But "awaitiing backups" tells you that the trigger file wasn't created for a longer time.

Check backup and triggerfile "created date"