cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual provisioning group behaviour

ianG
Level 5

A users mailbox became dormant/disabled at one point, and as a result entered a 'disabled user OU'. This made it fall into an EV provisioning group which then archived it off with a 0 day policy, all shortcuts deleted. User subsequently came back, and got moved out of the disabled user OU.

Hopefully straight forward enough at this point

Now the sticky part... the business unit has currently only signed up their disabled users to have any archiving applied, so prior to being moved into the 'disabled user OU', there was no archiving applied to the users mailbox. The user is now in an OU, that shouldnt be archived in any way, but is still being archived with the 0 day policy.

Initially I thought a simple 'export to mailbox' run should get all her mails back, and then as the user is in an OU that shouldnt be getting zapped, all should be back to normal. However, this morning she's found all her mails archived off again - 0 day policy still being applied

So today I've recalled all her mails again, but this time now also manually disabled her mailbox for archiving (tools->disable mailboxes).

So my question finally is, come tomorrow morning, will the user come in to find all her mails archived off again? Or have I done enough now to stop the policy being applied to it?

Thanks,
Ian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you have disabled her mailbox for archiving then her mailbox should not be archived.

Another question for you though, how often does your provisioning task run?  When the user was moved out of the disabled OU was the new OU the target of a Provisioning group?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling

If you have disabled her mailbox for archiving then her mailbox should not be archived.

Another question for you though, how often does your provisioning task run?  When the user was moved out of the disabled OU was the new OU the target of a Provisioning group?

ianG
Level 5
Provisioning task runs at 6pm & 6am, so certainly should have caught the change in OU

The new OU now just falls into the 'whole exchange organisation' provisioning group. This is set to 'do not automatically enable users', but does have a 'standard mailbox policy' applied to it for those ad hoc enables we get asked for occassionally.

I would have thought this standard policy should now be applied to her mailbox, but that doesnt appear to have happened

TonySterling

Hmm...the user was not by chance explicitly added to the zero day group was it?

Do you still have the Provision reports from that day?  If yes, give them a look and see if you find where the User was re-provisioned.

ianG
Level 5
From looking over our logs it would appear our provisioning task has been failing - one of the provisioning groups contained an invalid AD pointer, and looks to have stopped the task at that point

so provisioning task caught the first move (enables and archives it), but didnt catch the move back out as it was dead. Do we reckon the provisioning group would have been smart enough to revert the mailbox back to its previous state (not enabled at all) or, as I imagine to be the case, just leave the mailbox enabled, but apply the default policy?

TonySterling

Well that will explain it!

If provisioning is failing it will not update the mailbox policy so that is why it stayed with the zero day.