Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Retention Category for FSA

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

Is there a way to change Retention Category (RC) on an FSA archived item by moving its placeholder to a different folder wiht a different RC - similar to what you can do in Exchange archiving (Moved/Existing items tab of mbx policy)?

I can't seem to find it for FSA policies.

If not, what is the best way to change RC's for FSA?  Customer wants to know if that is doable at all.

Thanks,

Fremont

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If I understood your problem correctly, then you need to modify the retention of archived items in at a later stage.

If your use case is about changing retention of just few archived items or folders, there is no Exchange archiving equivalent functionality in FSA. I also realized later that with FSAUtility –pm option, it will just migrate without changing the retention category. I guess, with FSAUtlity –m option, you can do migrate selected folders from one archive point under another – I never tried it, but my guess is that it will take the destination archive point policy. Frankly, if it’s about few files, I would probably restore them and then move them to a new folder, which is under a new archive point and have a new policy (including retention).

If your use case is about changing the retention associated with whole FSA volume or FSA folder, you can make use of the new Retention plan feature introduced in EV 12. In that case, you can do following:  

- Create a new retention plan (Under Policy Option in VAC).

- Assign a new retention category for that retention plan. 

- In the expiry tab on the retention plan UI, choose the expiry option based on "The retention category set by this Retention Plan".

- Save this retention plan. 

- Assign this Retention plan to the FSA archive. 

Next time, the expiry of items in this archive will be based on the retention category associated with the retention plan. Now since you have changed the underlying retention category, it will be taken into consideration in case of expiry.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ManojChanchawat
Level 3
Employee

I doubt if there is any such straight option for FSA. However, you can use FSA utility to achieve the same. This is not as straight as the exchange option, which you were referring to, but still doable. 

In FSA Utility, you can use FSAUtility -m or FSAUtility -pm option. Remember, this option only works for archived files, whose placeholders are there. Also, check the amount of data you are moving using these options. See Utility guide for more details around the same. 

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks Manoj for the quick update.

I looked at FSA utility and see -m and -pm options can be used for moving or migrating placeholders and associated archived items.  

Does that also mean that if the new folder has a different Retention Categories (RC), the RC on the moved/migrated items will change accordingly?

The client wants to initially archive everything with an RC of Forever, then decide if there are some files that need to be matured and deleted earlier.   Hence the question

Thanks,

If I understood your problem correctly, then you need to modify the retention of archived items in at a later stage.

If your use case is about changing retention of just few archived items or folders, there is no Exchange archiving equivalent functionality in FSA. I also realized later that with FSAUtility –pm option, it will just migrate without changing the retention category. I guess, with FSAUtlity –m option, you can do migrate selected folders from one archive point under another – I never tried it, but my guess is that it will take the destination archive point policy. Frankly, if it’s about few files, I would probably restore them and then move them to a new folder, which is under a new archive point and have a new policy (including retention).

If your use case is about changing the retention associated with whole FSA volume or FSA folder, you can make use of the new Retention plan feature introduced in EV 12. In that case, you can do following:  

- Create a new retention plan (Under Policy Option in VAC).

- Assign a new retention category for that retention plan. 

- In the expiry tab on the retention plan UI, choose the expiry option based on "The retention category set by this Retention Plan".

- Save this retention plan. 

- Assign this Retention plan to the FSA archive. 

Next time, the expiry of items in this archive will be based on the retention category associated with the retention plan. Now since you have changed the underlying retention category, it will be taken into consideration in case of expiry.

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks again Manoj,

Based on your info and what I am reading in the Utilities guide re:FSA Utility:

• -pm optino only moves placeholders - so it does not reassign RC as you mentioned
  • -m options moves both placeholder and archived item - however there is no mention whether it reassigns RC.  It would need to delete the original and rearchive the item for it to be able to reassign RC.  I am not sure it does that.  It could be just moving pointers internally, in which case RC will not be changed.  This is to be tested.
  • the new Retention Plan option available in EV12 does reassign RC, however only upon maturity of the existing RC.  If the existing RC is set to Forever, I think this option does not work unless there is a way to push it without the item expiring.  I remember reading somewhere reindexing may do it.  But that means reindexing the whole archive, which is overkill.
  • CONCLUSION: No easy way to change RC for individual items or groups of items by moving placeholders from folder to folder like you can in Exchange archiving.  FSA Utility -m may possibly do it (to be tested), but it seems to be a clunky way.
  • Thanks again for your help.  I will mark your answer as solution as it guided me in the right path.