cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update shortcut location - how does it work

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello all,

Regarding the 'update shortcut location' ie the Moved Items tab in the Mailbox Policy. What happens when this is run? I know it has an impact on SQL, but what about Exchange? EV-server? On Exchange, can we expect an increase in log-files? Besides the info in the PDF files, are there any 'technical' documents available that explain this?

Thanks.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Maverik
Level 6

Hi Gertjan,

I have hopefully answered your queries below.

What happens when update shortcuts location is run?  The update shortcut location feature is run as part of the archiving task.  As the archiving process runs and reviews messages applicable for archiving it also detects shortcuts that have been moved from their original location.  These are noted and logged on the A6 MSMQ.  They are then processed by various Stored Procedures in SQL to update the entries in SQL to reflect the new folder the item is now located in.  This prcoess also passes the mvoe request to the Index which is in turn also updated to reflect the new location. This is done by adding an entry in the JournalUpdate table in SQL so Indexing is notfied of the change. The index operation is performed asynchronously and not at the same time as the DB update.

Impact on EV server/Exchange Server? Very little if any on the Exchange server though as I am sure you aware each time the Exchange Mailbox is touched transaction logs will be written to and grow slightly. EV server, will have a slight more load on archiving process and indexing, though nothing that I have ever seen as that significant.

Besides the info in the PDF files, are there any 'technical' documents available that explain this? Not that I am aware of I am afraid.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Maverik
Level 6

Hi Gertjan,

I have hopefully answered your queries below.

What happens when update shortcuts location is run?  The update shortcut location feature is run as part of the archiving task.  As the archiving process runs and reviews messages applicable for archiving it also detects shortcuts that have been moved from their original location.  These are noted and logged on the A6 MSMQ.  They are then processed by various Stored Procedures in SQL to update the entries in SQL to reflect the new folder the item is now located in.  This prcoess also passes the mvoe request to the Index which is in turn also updated to reflect the new location. This is done by adding an entry in the JournalUpdate table in SQL so Indexing is notfied of the change. The index operation is performed asynchronously and not at the same time as the DB update.

Impact on EV server/Exchange Server? Very little if any on the Exchange server though as I am sure you aware each time the Exchange Mailbox is touched transaction logs will be written to and grow slightly. EV server, will have a slight more load on archiving process and indexing, though nothing that I have ever seen as that significant.

Besides the info in the PDF files, are there any 'technical' documents available that explain this? Not that I am aware of I am afraid.