cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to Enterprice VAULT 8.0 yes or no?

loko32
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I run EV 7.5 sinds jan. 09 and the issues don't stopping.
Now i wil upgrade to the newest version.
can someone tell me whether an update is recommended?

Is the version 8.0  with SP2 stabil.

Have someone good experience with an upgratde to 8.0?

Thx

Grts,
Loko33

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Loko33,

I've ran EV7.5SP2 for a little less than a year, without many issues.
When configured and maintained properly, it is relatively simple to monitor/maintain.

I do advise upgrading to 8.0 because of many improvements to the product.
There are some things changed that will ease your life, and make the product even better!

I upgrade to EV8.0SP2 last weekend, and it is running fine. We have it running in our demo-environment since early july2009, without problems.

I finished the upgrade (24 EV-servers) in less than 8 hours.

Check my blog (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/sheet-help-perform-upgrade-ev75-80sp2) which has a spreadsheet you can use to perform the upgrade. It helps in making sure you do not forget something.

I cannot yet comment on performance etc. of the 8.0 version (as we placed the tasks in normal mode only this morning), but the archiving of the journalmailboxes seems to have improved considerably (44.000 mails archive in 90 minutes)

My advice again is to upgrade.

They big ' but'  is that you have to make sure your current environment is running without lot of errors.

Good luck,
Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

RVD
Level 5
Partner

Recommend an upgrade to EV8? I would say : Yes

If you look at the new features in EV8 (some policy changes, new OSIS model, ...) and if you are having lots of problems with current version, why not do the upgrade?

Of course ... try to solve the current major issues first.
Also look at the upgrade information on the eV8 source. It contains a lot of 'issues solved' information.

I did quite some EV7.5 to EV 8 upgrades last year and had no real issues with it.

Major thing is that the current EV environment must be 'healthy' and a FULL backup should be taken before proceeding in the upgrade (just in case). Follow the upgrade instructions as delivered by Symantec, otherwise upgrade issues can arise when "forgetting" some important upgrade steps.

Good luck!

R.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Loko33,

I've ran EV7.5SP2 for a little less than a year, without many issues.
When configured and maintained properly, it is relatively simple to monitor/maintain.

I do advise upgrading to 8.0 because of many improvements to the product.
There are some things changed that will ease your life, and make the product even better!

I upgrade to EV8.0SP2 last weekend, and it is running fine. We have it running in our demo-environment since early july2009, without problems.

I finished the upgrade (24 EV-servers) in less than 8 hours.

Check my blog (https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/sheet-help-perform-upgrade-ev75-80sp2) which has a spreadsheet you can use to perform the upgrade. It helps in making sure you do not forget something.

I cannot yet comment on performance etc. of the 8.0 version (as we placed the tasks in normal mode only this morning), but the archiving of the journalmailboxes seems to have improved considerably (44.000 mails archive in 90 minutes)

My advice again is to upgrade.

They big ' but'  is that you have to make sure your current environment is running without lot of errors.

Good luck,
Regards. Gertjan

EVNoodles
Level 4
Employee
Definately go for the upgrade to EV 8.0 SP2 as there are many improvements to the original release of 8.0

If this post is resolved please mark this post as solved.

Thanks for your time

EV Noodles

loko32
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello RVD,

Thx for your quick answer.
That sounds good for me.
My biggest issue is that the services runs not stable. They stops several times during the archiving task is running.
I tried a lot of things (with help of this forum) to solve this problem but nothing really helps. After a restart of my EV server it runs for a while (maybe 1 day or 2)

Do i need to solve this problem first.
It is no hardware problem.

grts,
Loko33

Aaron_Morris
Level 4
I had a problem like that and it turns out the issue was that my backups were running at the same time as some of my archiving runs.  As soon as I made sure the two didn't overlap, stability has been dramatically improved.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I'd agree that you want to try to get a relatively stable environment before upgrading.

Hope that helps,

Working for cloudficient.com

loko32
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello All,

that's easy to say " get a relatively stable environment before upgrading".
I fight with this version since it is installed. Always the same issues.

eventid's:

and my favorite one is... 3249

Some suggestions?

grts,
Loko33

JB22
Level 5
When you get event id 7235, are there some indexes that are stated as failed?
What if you let the indexes rebuild?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Sorry but I can't work with just event id's, I need context, and details.   The best bet is to work through support to resolve some/all the issues, before upgrade.

Working for cloudficient.com

loko32
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hello,

yes i have a few indexes there are failed an when i try to rebuild them i get errors and my services runs not stable.

errors:

7264:

Abnormal error occurred
Error: A low level indexing operation has failed Error: Index Id: [0xc0041c43]
Reference: CAVUpdator::CountWords
Index: 12D5C2F931A3C7D4FA510384300CCC6C11110000vaultsite/Volume:51 (Alexandra Collaer)
Info: - DELETED -
%5
%6

7235:

A low level indexing operation has failed
Error: a severe error occurred; cannot continue [AV:63]
Index Id: 12D5C2F931A3C7D4FA510384300CCC6C11110000vaultsite/Volume:51 (Alexandra Collaer)

7221:

Could not open indexing parameters
Reason: A low level indexing operation has failed Error: Index Id: [0xc0041c43]
Index: 13F7822AC1C76A94F976CC5141CE9BA8D1110000vaultsite/Volume:1047 (Wholesale Partner Billing)

7264:

Abnormal error occurred
Error: Could not open indexing parameters Reason: #1 Index: #2 [0xc0041c35]
Reference: CAVUpdator/OAVI/ice
Index: 13F7822AC1C76A94F976CC5141CE9BA8D1110000vaultsite/Volume:1047 (Wholesale Partner Billing)

7292:

The index volume has been marked as failed.
Index Volume: 13F7822AC1C76A94F976CC5141CE9BA8D1110000vaultsite/Volume:1047 (Wholesale Partner Billing)
Index Volume Path: I:\EV Index\Location1\13F7822AC1C76A94F976CC5141CE9BA8D1110000vaultsite
Reference: Open

thats it...

grts & thx
Loko33

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
i highly advice that you involve an ev partner to help you resolve those issues. if your services stop frequently, then there is something seriously wrong. support may be good to resolve single problems, but your entire environment seems to be unhealthy... and for the upgrade: you have to do ot anyway sooner or later :) i always recommend staying not too far behind, and at least upgrade to the latest sp frequently. cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.