Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade EV8 to 11

Thomas_L_
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello,

i have Question about Upgrade Path. Customer have Hardware Server with EV8 (64) Bit and SQL Server 2008 R2.

He wants to upgrade to latest Version of Evault 11. When i look at Upgrade Guide there is no direkt way to EV11 right?

So, is it possible to upgrade EV8 on same Server to EV10 an then to EV11 or is SQL Server to old ?

Thanks for Info

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

the index upgrade does not happen automatically. you have to upgrade them yourself and you can do it by volume or by archive. however, any new data that you add to the system once you're on EV 10 (or newer) will be indexed by the new 64bit engine.

the EV client is officially supported +1/-1 version from the EV server. because you're so far behind in versions you'll have to figure out what works best for you. for example, you're on EV 8 which means the EV9 client would work for you with EV8, 9, and 10. once you got to EV 11, you'd need the EV 10 or EV 11 client. ultimately, if you're doing the server upgrade in one shot then you'd coordinate the client rollout for the same time.

there's no way you wouldn't impact the users unless you went with a 3rd party migration tool.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

As per compatibility chart EV11 supports SQL 2008 R2. You haven't mentioned EV OS.

Refer to EV Compatibility Chart for SQL and other core EV dependencies. 

I guess the upgrade path will be EV8 -> 9 -> 10 ->11

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Upgrade path needs to be 8 to 9, to 10, to 11.0.1 (CHF3 currently latest CHF). You cannot skip a major version.

After upgrading to EV10, you migth want to upgrade indexes first, before going to 11. I recommend to do this gradually. Go to 9, run for a week, verify all is well, then go to 10, run for a week (or longer if required to upgrade indexes), then go to 11.

If you have the need to go to 11 in one go, you might want to look at archive moving tooling (Quadrotech) to move archives from existing EV8 to new EV11 environment.

Regards.

Regards. Gertjan

Thomas_L_
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello, thanks for answer.

Ok The Index Update is running automaticly when upgrade to next Version right?

The Upgrade is show in Eventlog.

What about Client when migrate from 8 to 11. Rollout first Client or must i rollout the Client

with installed Evault Server?

Thanks

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

the index upgrade does not happen automatically. you have to upgrade them yourself and you can do it by volume or by archive. however, any new data that you add to the system once you're on EV 10 (or newer) will be indexed by the new 64bit engine.

the EV client is officially supported +1/-1 version from the EV server. because you're so far behind in versions you'll have to figure out what works best for you. for example, you're on EV 8 which means the EV9 client would work for you with EV8, 9, and 10. once you got to EV 11, you'd need the EV 10 or EV 11 client. ultimately, if you're doing the server upgrade in one shot then you'd coordinate the client rollout for the same time.

there's no way you wouldn't impact the users unless you went with a 3rd party migration tool.