cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Exchange to 2016 - EV related steps.

philt
Level 5

Enterprise Vault version 12.3.

We are currently upgrading from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016 and now ready to start migrating mailboxes.

Before mailboxes can be migrated I need configure Enterprise Vault for the new Exchange 2016 servers and am checking that I’m on the right track. Both (Ex 2010 & Ex 2016) are configured with DAGs.

Below are the steps I think I need to follow, and also have a couple of questions that I’d appreciate advice on;

• Add new the Exchange 2016 Servers to Deployment scanner and “Exchange Server Permissions” pass. DONE
  • Create new EV System Mailbox for Exchange 2016 Server
    • Grant Vault Service Account “Send As” permissions on new EV System Mailbox.
  • Add Exchange 2016 Server as a Target.
    • Create Archiving Tasks,
    • Create Journaling Task,
  • Move mailboxes using SynchInMigrationMode registry.

Questions;

• Do I create a new Provisioning Task for Exchange 2016?, or does the current Provisioning Task do the job?
  • As we are Journaling all email do I create a new Journal Mailbox for the Exchange 2016 Server or should I be journaling to the current Journal mailbox on Exchange 2010?
  • Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Phil,

Do I create a new Provisioning Task for Exchange 2016?, or does the current Provisioning Task do the job?

Current task will do the job, as long as users stay in the same AD Domain.

As we are Journaling all email do I create a new Journal Mailbox for the Exchange 2016 Server or should I be journaling to the current Journal mailbox on Exchange 2010?

I would keep the 2010 journal mailbox, and only after all other mailboxes are moved to 2016, create a 2016 journal mailbox + archive + task, and switch. I advise to catch up on SMTP archiving for Journaling, as that is A LOT faster than Journal Mailbox archiving. If your current solution can cope, then it is fine, but SMTP Archiving is the way to go imho.

Anything else I need to consider?

You already have the SynchInMigrationMode covered, which is good. I would configure EV so you have a mailbox archiving task running, then move 1 or 2 mailboxes to Exchange 2016, and see if they are archived according to expectation.

Regards. Gertjan

Thank you Gertjan, that is so helpful,

Just to confirm;

“Current task will do the job, as long as users stay in the same AD Domain.”

Yes users are all in the same AD Domain so I will use the current Provisioning Task.

“I would keep the 2010 journal mailbox, and only after all other mailboxes are moved to 2016, create a 2016 journal mailbox + archive + task, and switch.”

I will configure Exchange 2016 to Journal back to the Exchange 2010 Journal mailbox until all mailboxes are migrated to Exchange 2016.Then when all mailboxes are migrated I configure Exchange 2016 to Journal to a new Exchange 2016 Journal mailbox, and also a Journal Task.

Couple more questions;

I was going to use the same Journal Archive for Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2016. Is this correct?

While I am migrating the user mailboxes to Exchange 2016 I will need to create a Mailbox Archiving Task for these migrated mailboxes. Is this correct?

Thanks for the tip on SMTP Archiving, and will definitely look into this once I have completed this migration.

Again thank you Gertjan.
Regards,
Phil

GertjanA

Hello Phil,

You're welcome.

I was going to use the same Journal Archive for Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2016. Is this correct?

Yes. You define the archive to use when you define the Journal Mailbox. I personally would create a new Journal Archive, in the same Vault Store, just to be able to determine which Journal Item is from which Exchange in the future.

While I am migrating the user mailboxes to Exchange 2016 I will need to create a Mailbox Archiving Task for these migrated mailboxes. Is this correct?

Yes indeed. The moved mailboxes will be on a different Exchange server, so you definitely need one or more archiving tasks.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi,

I would do it like Gertjan said.

New archive for Journaling.

Synchinmigration mode for mailboxarchiving.

Are you using Enterprise Vault within OWA?

You will need to reconfigure it then.

Regards

With the SyncInMigrationMode is there an easy way to confirm that EV has synched the new Mailserver, without having to check via "Vault Information" on the client side. e.g. I'd like to confirm that a bulk mailbox migration has synced all mailboxes with EV.

I vaguley remember an event when we did this many years ago.

Thanks,Phil

Prone2Typos

Easy is realitive. I believe it can be scripted (EWS API) or coded in many ways but I do not have such a script.I would personally use MFC MAPI to check a reasonable number of really random mailboxes you thought were updated (after sufficient time for them to be updated too). I would find that easier for this task, but not if I needed to do it a dozen times a year.....

if the reasonable number all were the same and my sync report showed all mailboxes were synced... I would assume all was fine.