cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Inquiry

EVUser0704
Level 4

Hello there,

Just had a quick question, Can I upgrade directly from EV 8 to EV 9.0.4 or do I need to go to 9.0 first?

Appreciate any help.

Regards,

EVUser

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

You can upgrade. As a rule of thumb with EV, you can directly upgrade 1 major version (the minor version is not relevant), eg. from 8.x to 9.x, then to 10.x and so on.

--Virgil

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VirgilDobos

Hi there,

You can upgrade. As a rule of thumb with EV, you can directly upgrade 1 major version (the minor version is not relevant), eg. from 8.x to 9.x, then to 10.x and so on.

--Virgil

ChrisLangevin
Level 6
Employee

It's true that you can go from 8.x to 9.x like Virgil says. However, version 8 is a long time ago; if your goal is to make it to a current release (12.x), you may find it less work to export all your archived items to PST and import them in a new 12.x environment. There are also third party tools to ease this migration.

This will save you the trouble of upgrading four separate times (8 > 9 > 10 > 11 > 12) and having to brave the compatibility gauntlet (Windows Server, SQL Server, Exchange Server) at each step.

If this approach has already been considered and found wanting, then fine, but I wanted to make sure you knew it's an option.

--Chris

Thanks Chris.

If I do export to PST that is all that is required if I want to import into a new EV12 Server? No other information would be needed from the old EV 8 Server?

VirgilDobos

Hi mate,

No other information would be required from the old EV server if you decide to go for PST Export/Import. 

However, from experience, PST export and import is quite time-consuming and I always prefered to do the upgrade even if you have to do it version by version. In fact, if you plan properly, the upgrade should be pretty straightforward. For example, Windows 2012 R2 OS is supported by both EV 10, 11 and 12. MS SQL 2012 is supported by EV 10, 11 and 12. Also, both Exchange 2010 and 2013 are supported by EV 10 to 12.x. It all depends on your current environment status and future plans.

Of course, you need active maintenance to be able to download the EV software and upgrade to the latest version.

--Virgil