cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Path to EV 9/2008 from EV 7.5

MrVirtual
Level 2

Hi, new here and I have just been handed a steaming pile to polish!

I am at a site that has EV 7.5 installed across three servers running win 2003 Sp2 x86. This is only used for Exchange (2007) Archiving.

I need to take this to 2008 R2 and EV 9.x (latest)

My plan is;

Perform an in place upgrade to EV 8.0 SP4

perform all the extra tasks to complete this Upgrade of Forms etc.

Test and confirm functionality

Perform an in place upgrade to EV 9.0.1

Perform all the extra tasks to complete this Upgrade of Forms, Outlook plug-ins etc.

Test and confirm functionality

Build the 2008 R2 servers, Install EV 9.0.1 on 2008 servers and configure for Building Blocks.

Perform a Building Blocks failover to the 2008 Servers.

Shutdown the 2003 servers

Test test test

My question is, what do you think of the approach? would you have a better more recommended approach?

How long does the DB upgrades take? the Upgrade guide says to just wait.

How long does the directory service upgrade take?

File store is NAS based that is not possible to backup efficiently, what gotcha's should I be looking for?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

MV

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

How large are the various databases?

Instead of doing building blocks why not follow the DR steps for Data only recovery? 

Also, have you seen this?

This article describes the procedures that must be completed to migrate the 32-bit Enterprise Vault 9.0 servers to 64-bit servers.

Solution

Refer to the attached PDF for detailed instructions on this process.

/apps/media/inquira/resources /resources

Attachments

TECH141481.pdf (426 kBytes)

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141481

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

TonySterling

How large are the various databases?

Instead of doing building blocks why not follow the DR steps for Data only recovery? 

Also, have you seen this?

This article describes the procedures that must be completed to migrate the 32-bit Enterprise Vault 9.0 servers to 64-bit servers.

Solution

Refer to the attached PDF for detailed instructions on this process.

/apps/media/inquira/resources /resources

Attachments

TECH141481.pdf (426 kBytes)

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141481

MrVirtual
Level 2

Thanks for this Tony,

Building blocks seemed an easier approach rather than the DR approach but your document link to migrating is detailed and I think I shall use this.

As for DB size as yet I have no idea. I will check this out and let you know.

Thanks

TonySterling

The size of the DB will be a factor in how long it takes but it normally isn't too awful long, that said, there have been exceptions. wink

I also remember I wrote this awhile back. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/upgrade-checklist-get-you-going

And if DA is involved you will need this, Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH55065

Cheers,

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Building block failover (USL) is not designed as a permanent movement of components, rather it is a temportary failover for HA/DR purposes and it is expected that after resolution you fail-back.  The DR process is the most appropriate for your requirements.

MrVirtual
Level 2

EV Directory DB 772MB

EV Monitoring DB 235MB

Centerra DB 88945MB

ExchVaultDB 29150MB

Now I also have all the data on an EMC Centerra, have you experience with Centerra? this is not a device you backup in a traditional manner, so the "File level" backup is not an option in the upgrade process.

So that being considered, if all DB's, Servers are backed up with Services stopped and cues empty if you had to restore, would the restoration work and be consistent?

TonySterling

The upgrade for those database should run pretty quickly.

As long as your Centera is replicating you should be fine in that regards.  As you have said, you will make sure to get good back ups of all the EV Databases so if necessary you can roll the upgrade back and you are good to go.