cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade SQL Server for EV and DA

woelki
Level 4

Hi there,

we are just planning to upgrade our EV and DA environment in two steps. Currently we have EV and DA in version 11 with an standalone SQL Server 2008 R2

We want to upgrade to EV12 and DA12 in order to utilize our big SQL 2014 cluster later.
So in first line I want to upgrade the standalone SQL server in order to prepare the EV12 upgrade.

So I want to execute an inplace upgrade to SQL Server 2014. Is there anything else I have to look for rather than stopping services and backung up the databases?

Is there anything special regarding DA11 and upgrading its SQL software?

Kind regards,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Massimo_Vagli
Level 4

Hello Chris, 

In my test environment I have upgraded few times some old SQL servers (such as 2008 or 2012) to a newer version (such as 2014 or 2016) and I never had any issues.

As long as the upgrade path is supported my Microsoft, the new SQL Server version is supported by the EV version in use and the upgrade is done with Enterprise Vault and DA services stopped I don't see any issues.

I would recommend the following: 

1. before stopping the Enterprise Vault services put the vault stores and indexing in backup mode

2. before do the actual upgrade do a SQL databases backup (so in case something goes wrong you can go back, about it please take a note of the current service pack for SQL installed)

3. after the SQL upgrade start the EV services (leave them in backup mode) and check if Enterprise Vault can properly connect to the new SQL server version, check from the admin console some of the settings, test some retrieves, do some searches etc...)

4. remove the backup mode for the vault store and indexes

The aforementioned procedure is just from common sense and it is not supposed to be taken like an official procedure or covered by any support.

Massimo Vagli

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Chris,

An upgrade of the SQL server itself should not cause issues. As long as you (as you say) stop ev services, and have a good backup, you should be fine. for moving the databases, there is good documentation available for that.

As you write you have a beefy SQL2014 cluster, have you considered moving the database directly (without upgrade)? According to the Compatibility guide EV11.0.1 (...) supports:

SQL Server 2014 x64 edition, Enterprise, Business Intelligence, and Standard, OR, SP1 and/or SP2

But, you do need 11.0.1

Regards. Gertjan

Massimo_Vagli
Level 4

Hello Chris, 

In my test environment I have upgraded few times some old SQL servers (such as 2008 or 2012) to a newer version (such as 2014 or 2016) and I never had any issues.

As long as the upgrade path is supported my Microsoft, the new SQL Server version is supported by the EV version in use and the upgrade is done with Enterprise Vault and DA services stopped I don't see any issues.

I would recommend the following: 

1. before stopping the Enterprise Vault services put the vault stores and indexing in backup mode

2. before do the actual upgrade do a SQL databases backup (so in case something goes wrong you can go back, about it please take a note of the current service pack for SQL installed)

3. after the SQL upgrade start the EV services (leave them in backup mode) and check if Enterprise Vault can properly connect to the new SQL server version, check from the admin console some of the settings, test some retrieves, do some searches etc...)

4. remove the backup mode for the vault store and indexes

The aforementioned procedure is just from common sense and it is not supposed to be taken like an official procedure or covered by any support.

Massimo Vagli

Hi Massimo,

thanks for the comprehensive guide. Sounds like a plan.

@GertjanA
Yes, I have considered this, but I would like to do this as a safety job for myself. I know that EV11 would support this, but for sure I would like to have the databases without mirroring on the cluster.
My SQL admin recommended the upgrade of the standalone server for one simple reason. If something fails at the move to the cluster, we have a rollback possibility.

The EV part is answered so far.
Is there anything I have to look out for regarding DA when I upgrade SQL server?

Kind regards,

Chris

GertjanA

Hi chris,

No specifics for DA needed. Just upgrade SQL, start services (as mentioned by Massim) and continue. You'll see errors really soon after starting services if there is an issue with SQL.

Point to note on your remark on mirroring databases on your new cluster. Be advised that for an upgrade of EV, you will have to break the mirror on the EV databases. That is listed in upgrade documentation, but easily overlooked.

Regards. Gertjan

Hi GertjanA,

thanks for the reminder. Therefore I wanted to move the databases to the cluster in the last step.

1. Upgrade standalone SQL Server to 2014

2. Upgrade to EV12

3. Move databases to SQL cluster instance and create mirror.

Kind regards,

Christian

Dear all,

just to update you, SQL upgrade to version 2014 succeeded.

I've got one follow up question.
When we finished the upgrade my SQL admin asked me if we should change the database compatibility level.
In order to stay on the save side we did not change it.

So currently it is level 100 (2008 R2) and we could raise it up to level 120 (2014).
Is it recommended to execute the change?

Kind regards,
Chris

VirgilDobos

Hi Chris,

Yes absolutely, you can do that. It would do no harm to EV.

--Virgil