cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to 10 - index in backup mode

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello all,

I'm preparing an upgrade of several EV-sites to EV10, coming from EV9SP4R1.

All prereqs are met, so I am good to go. One of the steps I had in mind was to set backup mode on both stores and indexes before upgrading. I used to do this to prevent accidental changes to the data. In the upgrade instructions document, it reads: The index volumes cannot be upgraded when they are in read-only mode, offline mode, or backup mode.

Does this mean that I cannot set backup mode on the indexes because that will not perform the upgrade necessary?

I do read further that the necessary upgrade will be done when the condition is resolved (ie in normal mode). I believe it is beneficial to have the upgrade process run through completely.

Seeing the above, can i set backup mode on the stores, and not set it on indexes?

Regards. Gertjan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would put Vault stores in Backup mode and let Indexing service finish the backlog work and then upgrade.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think it's really meaning you can't convert 32bit indexes to 64bit indexes when your Index locations aren't online and in backup mode

It could also be referring to the upgrade of the index metadata when you convert from EV10 SP1/SP2 to EV10 SP3 which is in the readme docs saying that depending on the amount of data you have indexed it could take up to an hour to complete the upgrade just from the index upgrade alone

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Placing Vault Stores and Indexes in backup prior to an EV upgrade is a best practice. Like you mentioned, you will prevent any further changes to the data and you can take a consistent backup before upgrading EV. During the EV upgrade process, you install the binaries and start the Admin and Directory services, which would upgrade the Directory DB. Then, you continue with the Storage service, which upgrades the Fingerprint and Vault Stores databses as well. At that point, the index service is not running; hence, no index volumes would be updated. Thus, that part of the upgrade guide stating: "The index volumes cannot be upgraded when they are in read-only mode, offline mode, or backup mode", it's referring to index volumes upgrade from 32 to 64 bits.

I hope this helps !!

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Before you upgrade Enterprise Vault to version 10.0, each archive has one or more 32-bit index volumes. Journal archives typically have multiple index volumes. Other types of archive such as mailbox archives usually have only one index volume.

For all archive types, the upgrade to Enterprise Vault 10.0 closes the old 32-bit index volumes and creates a new, live 64-index volume for each archive. Subsequently when users search their archives, Enterprise Vault uses the content from both the 32-bit and 64-bit index volumes.

GertjanA

Hello all,

I am aware of the fact that after the upgrade the indexes for the archives need to be upgraded to 64-bit. What I have seen at an upgrade to EV10 is that that upgrade is 'manual', in other words, you select which indexes are to be upgraded. this is done in the new Indexing part of EV10.

What I am referring to in my initial post is from the Upgrade_Instructions.pdf, page 53.

this details the upgrade of the Index metadata and schema version.

It states the events to be seen (41395, 41372, 41373, 71377 for the metadata), and then point 3 states:

The Indexing service now upgrades the schema version in index volumes.
The following events are logged:
Event 41465 Enterprise Vault will now upgrade n index volumes
Event 41467 Enterprise Vault has completed the upgrade of index volumes with the latest schema version
The index volumes cannot be upgraded when they are in read-only mode, offline mode, or backup mode.
If event 41467 indicates that some volumes could not be upgraded, those volumes will be upgraded when they are next loaded.

This to me indicates that the SCHEMA version cannot be updated when the indexes are in backup-mode.

I am now leaning to put the stores in backup mode, but leave the indexes in normal.

Advise?

Regards. Gertjan

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yup that should be it. Leave indexes in normal mode for engine to upgrade the schema.

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would put Vault stores in Backup mode and let Indexing service finish the backlog work and then upgrade.

GertjanA

I agree. Thanks!

Regards. Gertjan

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Yeah what you are seeing is what I described about 10 SP1 -> 10 SP3 upgrade and doesn't apply to 9.x -> 10 sp3 as no index metadata exists to upgrade in the first place You could easily verify this by looking at the upgrade instructions for EV 10 base and see if the same advice is given
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

GertjanA

ah ok. that explains.

Regards. Gertjan