cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to Exchange 2003 SP2

Ed_Jackson
Level 5
I'm about to upgrade Exchange 2003 to SP2 (from SP1). Is there anything that I need to be aware of in Enterprise Vault 5, SP6 (Windows 2003, SP1) after the upgrade? I thought I read somewhere about needing to reload the Outlook forms again, but cannot find anything on it now. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
Any info on upgrading to SP2 is appreciated.

Thank you.
Ed
12 REPLIES 12

Colin_Heichman_
Level 2
I have the same question so I'm bumpng this.

--Colin

Ed_Jackson
Level 5
I ran it by Veritas support, and they came back with this:

"This email is to inform you that your case has been assigned to me for further assistance. At this time, there are no documented compatibility issues with Exchange SP2. Regarding the reinstalling of the forms, I have not heard of this, nor have I been able to find documentation related to this.

Currently, according to our compatibility list, Exchange SP2 is fully supported. And, although it does not seem to be necessary to reload the forms, I would recommend doing so anyway as part of good practice."

I have since upgraded to SP2 on the front-end server, the EV server, and one back-end server. As of now, there have not been any problems that I am aware of. If all goes well, I'll do the rest of the back-ends this weekend. I have not reloaded the forms. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Colin_Heichman_
Level 2
So you installed it in this order:

1) Front End
2) EV Server
3) Back End

On the EV server, we're just doing it to upgrade the System Manager, right?

--Colin

David_Messeng1
Level 6
I guess you are thinking of the EV extensions for OWA? It's highly likely SP2 blows EV's extensions away and you will need to re-install them if you use them (which I don't)... Ghost'll know -- he/they knows everything ;)

As always, test it in your own environment first and pilot if possible. I would never do anything signifigant around my EV setup without a full test on my own look-a-like rigs first.

Microsoft have hundreds of full-time software testers performing complete regression tests on their service packs but look at the errors we've seen -- remember NT SP4?.

From previous experience I reckon EV is tested by a school kid as a part time job for the weekends, so definatley have a test rig of your own.

I plan to put SP2 onto the ESM element of the EV servers before I deploy it to the real Exc estate.

Ed_Jackson
Level 5
The exact order I did was this:

Front-end. (I read somewhere that this needs to be done before back-ends).

Back-end server.

EV server. The System Manager is all that is installed on the EV server.

I don't know if I could have done the EV server before the back-end. Maybe I could. This is just how I decided to do it. I'll do the remaining back-ends in one whack.
Hope this helps you.

David_Messeng1
Level 6
Always upgrade Exchange 200x front ends before doing the back ends.

BTW - if you use Public Folders you're gonna love SP2!!

Scott_Anderso1
Level 4
Good point! We're doing the Exchange 2003 SP2 upgrade this coming weekend, so I appreciate the info.

Ed_Jackson
Level 5
FYI...I did the rest of our Exchange servers over the weekend, and all seems OK so far. No complaints, and no smoke, yet.

Agimon_Ali
Level 3
Is there a link to the compatibility matrix for EV 5.0?

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Document ID: 276547
http://support.veritas.com/docs/276547

jeremy_loe
Not applicable
 Question, I'm about to upgrade my Exchange servers from exchange 2003 no sp to exchange 2003 sp2. Is there anything I should take in to consideration before hand? any best practices? any services or programs I should stop before running this service pack? any help would be greatly appreciated! Smiley Very Happy

Thanks Guys and Gals,

Jeremy Loe

Message Edited by jloe on 11-11-2008 11:09 AM

MarkB_2
Level 4