cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading EV from 8.0 SP4 into EV 10 (latest service pack)

John_Santana
Level 6

Hi People,

Can anyone please let me know what to do to perform safe upgrade of my EV server from version 8.0 SP4 into the latest version 10 ?

and also applying the latest service pack version if possible.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello John,

Assuming you follow the route of going to 8SP5, then to 9, then to 10:

Depending on the planning, if you upgrade in 1 go (ie a weekend or something) you could roll out the new client beforehand. Although Symantec states that the client can be 1 version off (ie EV8 client works with EV7/8/9 server), I have not seen issues running an old(er) client to a newer EV server version. Safest is however to have the clients be on the same level (or 1 down) as the server version. I would roll out the EV10 client before upgrading.

The FSA agent will need to be upgraded after the EV-server is upgraded. There is with each EV version an update.htm file, which describes what changes, or has to be done to perform a succesfull upgrade.

On the Exchange server, if you use OWA, you will have to upgrade the OWA extentions also.

I personally am in favor of upgrading 1 step at the time (ie first to 8SP5, watch that for a week, goto 9, watch that for a week, then go to 10, but I also know of companies doing such upgradepath in a weekend. This does depend on your environment. If you have a few EV servers (1 to 5) upgrading in 1 go is an option, if you have more, it might be better to upgrade weekly.

The main advise I can give is BACKUP! Mainly your SQL databases, as these are the ones getting upgraded. The indexes and data is not touched, until after the upgrade to 10, after which you can convert the indexes to 64-bit ones. Having said that, you do know that EV10 requires W2008R2? If you do not have this (yet), that is an extra step before upgrading to EV10. I have done an upgrade using the Server Migration Wizard (going from 9 to 10), which helps in moving EV to a new server.

Good luck!

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Ashish-Sharma
Level 6
Accredited

John_Santana
Level 6

Cool, does that means I will haveto patch to Service pack 5 first and then upgrade to version 9 then again to version 10 ?

What about the Client component on the Outlook across the workstations ?

and the File Server agent and the Exchange Server ?

GertjanA

Hello John,

Assuming you follow the route of going to 8SP5, then to 9, then to 10:

Depending on the planning, if you upgrade in 1 go (ie a weekend or something) you could roll out the new client beforehand. Although Symantec states that the client can be 1 version off (ie EV8 client works with EV7/8/9 server), I have not seen issues running an old(er) client to a newer EV server version. Safest is however to have the clients be on the same level (or 1 down) as the server version. I would roll out the EV10 client before upgrading.

The FSA agent will need to be upgraded after the EV-server is upgraded. There is with each EV version an update.htm file, which describes what changes, or has to be done to perform a succesfull upgrade.

On the Exchange server, if you use OWA, you will have to upgrade the OWA extentions also.

I personally am in favor of upgrading 1 step at the time (ie first to 8SP5, watch that for a week, goto 9, watch that for a week, then go to 10, but I also know of companies doing such upgradepath in a weekend. This does depend on your environment. If you have a few EV servers (1 to 5) upgrading in 1 go is an option, if you have more, it might be better to upgrade weekly.

The main advise I can give is BACKUP! Mainly your SQL databases, as these are the ones getting upgraded. The indexes and data is not touched, until after the upgrade to 10, after which you can convert the indexes to 64-bit ones. Having said that, you do know that EV10 requires W2008R2? If you do not have this (yet), that is an extra step before upgrading to EV10. I have done an upgrade using the Server Migration Wizard (going from 9 to 10), which helps in moving EV to a new server.

Good luck!

Regards. Gertjan

John_Santana
Level 6

Many thanks Gertjan,

"convert the indexes to 64-bit ones" does that means I will need to have 64 bit Windows Server to be able to upgrade to version 10 instead of using the current Windows Server 2003 32 bit ?

The SQL Server that I'm using for the EV is also 32 bit SQL Server 2005.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Enterprise Vault 10 requires Windows 2008 R2 x64.

See the Compatibility Guide:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH38537

(Page 12)

Working for cloudficient.com

John_Santana
Level 6

Thanks Rob, so in this case I must create anothe Virtual Machine and then migrate that from version 9 into newly installed version 10 over the weekend.

GertjanA

Hello John,

to upgrade EV9 to EV10 and move it to new hardware (physical or VM), you can use the 'Server Migration Wizard' to do it without problems.

Look here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/server-migration-wizard-screenshots

This has a document with screenshots of the process, and a link to the KB for the Server Migration Wizard.

Regards. Gertjan

John_Santana
Level 6

Cool, many thanks for that Gertjan,

I'm now preparing my EV 8.0 SP5 and then upgrade that to version 9 in one weekend.

I assume 9.0.4 is the lastest (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5675)

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

9.0.4 R1 is the latest 9 service pack:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH147786

And there is a 2nd cumulative roll-up past that:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH200520

Working for cloudficient.com

John_Santana
Level 6

Cool, many thanks for the advice Rob.

Rob_Wilcox1