Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Steps from EV 8.0.3 to 9.0

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

Hey EV Gurus,

I am in the process of upgrading from EV 8.0.3 to EV9.0.  My server is Win 2008 Standard 64-bit.  What are the steps from start to finish for upgrading to 9.0?  The reason I need to upgrade is that I am also upgrading my Exchange server to 2010.  Please help!

-John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

On the Enterprise Vault 9.x Media, there is a nice little PDF File called "Upgrade_Instructions.pdf"

Read it.

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

On the Enterprise Vault 9.x Media, there is a nice little PDF File called "Upgrade_Instructions.pdf"

Read it.

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Or if you are that unsure about doing an EV upgrade get professional services to come in and do it. Otherwise Lab test it! But EV upgrades tend to be ok.. most of the time smiley

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

Thanks guys!  Now, it's looking like my boss wants to upgrade the server OS and upgrade SQL from 2005 to ?  With everything backed up from EV, woud this be a much more involved process?

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Not really, look in the admin guide at a data only DR to move to the new server OS.

Are you wanting to move t a new SQL Server, or upgrade the inplace SQL?

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

As far as SQL, which would be the better path?  It's running SQL 2005 on a seperate server (of course). Also, I heard from a Symantec Partner that supported 9, and stated that there were lots of problems with that version.  Should I go ahead and install EV10?  Just trying to get the best options before I present it to my boss :)

-John

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

I'm not able to view that URL.  As far as "dependability, is EV 9 or 10 better?

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Ok so I would...

Upgrade EV, make sure that works.

Migrate my EV DBs to a new SQL server. Test

TN for this:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35744

Then decom old SQL

Decom old SQL server.

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

I fixed my link, my bad

I would see if i needed the EV 10 features, and make my call on that. 

EV9 has been around awhile, and EV10 has new hardware reqs like more cores more RAM etc.

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

Thanks Marvin, I'll look into that!

-John

nir_malik
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

would you upgrade and then migrate or vice versa?

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

As per my earlier post my preference would be upgrade then migrate.In some cases this may not be possible due to compatability issues or what not.

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

What needs to be backed up before upgrading the OS and EV?

-John

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

full backup of Vault Stores, Indexes, and SQL. you can backup your EV install directory if you've made customizations to webapp.ini, new user welcome message, disable user message, shortcut text etc.

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

OK, here's what needs to happen: I am going to build a 2008 R2 64 server on a virtual machine.  I then want to put EV 9 on it.  I will need to transfer over all EV data from my 8.0.3 production to this server.  What are the steps in order to do this successfully and in compliance with my license agreement?  My current EV server is a 2003 Standard 64 on a virtual machine.

-John

AndrewB

here's a really high level. (we could break it down breath by breath but you've been around for a few years and i think you have the experience to handle this)

1. full backup of sql, indexes, vault stores, ev install dir.

2. in place upgrade to ev9

3. install ev9 on new hardware

4. follow steps in admin guide for DR process.

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

Where are the DR steps in the Admin Guide?

-John

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

For EV 9 it is Chapter 24 Recovery.

GianniCool
Level 6
Partner

OK, I'm doing a fresh install of EV 9.0.2 on a completely different server.  If I point to the existing SQL database that has all of my 8.0.3 data, will it get overwritten or will it convert for 9.0.2?  Either way, I have the data backed up, just don't want it to get overwritten or erased while attaching it to EV 9.0.2.  Am I being overprotective and paranoid?

-John

AndrewB

the way i've approached this in the past was to do an in-place upgrade first, then install the new server with the same version, and last migrate to the new server