cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from EV7 to EV10

JimCobb
Level 2

We are planning to upgrade from EV7 to EV10 and I am assuming that there is no easy upgrade path. I am currently planning to create a new EV10 environment, export the current archives as PSTs and import them into the new environment. Is there an easier/quicker way of doing this without using 3rd party software ?

Thanks in advance,

Jim.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You would need to ugrade to 8 then 9 then 10 if you wish to not export and import psts. no other way.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You would need to ugrade to 8 then 9 then 10 if you wish to not export and import psts. no other way.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think upgrading to EV8, EV9 and finaly EV10 will be faster than exporting/importing the data.
(Depending on the size of your archives)

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

Just consider that you will have several advantages when using "export/import" instead of upgrading...
The new Storage Model with EV8 (ASIS) as well a fresh, clean Environment...

Depending on your size of Data and the number of users doing this without a 3rd Party tool could be really hard...

Wayne and ZeroC00L missed the 7.5 Step which you have to take as well.
Not without risk to do all the upgrades - and plan enough user downtime in, as you might/should want to test if everything is still working after each upgrade step.

/Peter

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Just my 2 cents, but I would think that your plan to export/import may be the best opportunity to rearchitect and balance your new environment, plus you won't have to go through the upgrade of indexs in v10.

I would create my new EV10 environment and begin archiving the new data (stoppping archiving from the old environment).  Then you could begin exporting from the old and importing into the new.  Users would continue to have access to the old data during the process.

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

WitSend... your not completly right...

Users would have in that scenario access to their shortcuts... but no access to the old mails using search, archiveexplorer or Virtual Vault!

As well in that scenario you would have "duplicate" shortcuts in the Mailbox... one pointing to the old environment - one to the new...

JimCobb
Level 2

Thanks for all the comments guys.

As the EV7 server is a virtualised copy of an old server, setting up a new environment does sound like the best way to go. I would prefer to have a new, known-good environment going forward. We have around 100 users using the system, so using PST's to migrate the data is going to take a little while, but not a huge problem.

Jim.

Machine
Level 3
Partner Accredited

There's nothing to prevent you from upgrading across from 7 > 7.5 > 8 > 9 on the existing VM and then migrating your data (for 100 users it shouldn't be too much) to a new, better-equipped (Windows 2008 R2) VM running the same SP of EV 9 and then upgrading that box to EV 10 SP1.

Import/Export is not the way to go here IMHO.

wandarah
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I would suggest that Machine above, has the right way. This is exactly what I've done previously - relatively straight forward. 

EV
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

I agree with Machine that upgrading 7-->7.5-->8-->9 on the existing VM is the way to go. Prior to any upgrade ensure that you review the environment for any pre-existing problems and address where possible prior to proceeding.  Since you stated that there are only 100 archives there are 2 options for the next step:

1. (EASIEST) Migrate Existing Server to new VM using Server Migration Tool and then upgrade to EV 10 SP1
  2. Move Archive:
  • Setup new EV 10 Environment with:
    -new EV Server cname(s)
    -recommend one cname for SQL if there is a dr site
    -provision adequate storage
    -optimized policies,retention categories,Server Cache Location, and VSGs with sharing configured accordingly
    -install backup agent (if applicable)
    -review virus exclusions
  • Disable All users in the Old EV Site (disable auto-provisioning)
  • Review provisioning groups and Enable All users in the New EV Site
  • Enable Auto-Provisioning in the New Site
  • Optionally configure EVMoveArchive.exe.config file
  • Move Users

benefits to the 2nd approach include:

• Improved SIS, reduced Storage Footprint at the end stage.
  • A potentially cleaner environment
  • Access to both environments during the upgrade, provided there are shortcuts. if no shortcuts then you will have to supply the users with a URL to search the old environment.
  • Also you could take this time to switch to an SSL installation (if not already configured for SSL)  since the Move Archive tool will update all shortcuts during its processing.