cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Urgent) Insufficient disk space on C:\, cannot restart EV

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5
We just enabled EV for our users two nights ago, as well as for our file shares.  The first night the C:\ drive on my EV server ran out of disk space and EV shutdown.  I was able to free up a fee GB of space and I let the Exchange mailbox task run all day (since it was Saturday).  Turns out the issue is my FSA.  I didn't realize it creates ~*.tmp files in the EV service accounts %TEMP% directory.  Last night my EV server ran out of room again, just 50 minutes short of when the scheduled archive window was about to close. 

Problem is there's 100's of ~*.tmp files still in that %TEMP% directory, so EV cannot restart.  Can I delete those files w/o causing any corruption to the EV database or losing any originals on my file server?

(I think if I shorten the archive window for FSA, I can prevent this from happening again.  I'm just stuck at the moment.)

Thanks for any help you all can provide!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5
I did search, and I did see postings about turning off monitoring, but didn't like the idea of the C:\ drive filling up on my server.  I don't think it's a good idea to ever let the C:\ drive fill up, even if it's only temporary.  I contacted technical support and they gave me another option, which as to change %TEMP% and %TMP% to another drive w/ more space.  They also pointed me to a registry key to shorten the window for purging the .TMP files:

"DelFilesOlderThanHours" as a DWORD within HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\AdminService

I went that route.  Thank's for confirming option 1.  I may still need it down the road.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi RhoSysAdmin,

If you had used the search, you would have seen both Tony and Myself have covered this a NUMBER of times, but I'm feeling like points today so here it is......

You have two ways to do this:

No-Monitor Reg-Key

\SOFTWARE
\KVS
\Enterprise Vault
\AdminService

Content
DWORD

0 — Monitor resources
1 — Do not monitor resources

Description
The Admin Service automatically monitors memory and disk space resources, logging warnings in the Application Log if necessary and, in extreme cases, shutting down Enterprise Vault services. You can use NoMonitor to force the Admin Service not to monitor resources.

And there is also start up parameters:

To modify the behavior of future instances of the Admin service

In the Windows Control Panel, double-click Services.
In the list of services, double-click Enterprise Vault Admin Service.
If the Admin service is running:
Click Stop.
When prompted to stop other Enterprise Vault services, click Yes.
In the Start Parameters box, type the parameters to use. The table below describes the options.

To do this
Type this start parameter

Specify the disks that the Admin service should monitor. By default, the service monitors all local hard disks.
/DISKS[=<list>]

where <list> specifies one or more disks to monitor. Do not include any spaces or tabs in the list. The colon (:) in the disk name is optional.

For example, to monitor disks C, E, and F only, type either of the following:

/DISKS=C:E:F:
/DISKS=CEF

To make this apply every time the Admin service starts, add the /SAVE parameter:

/DISKS=C:E:F: /SAVE
/DISKS=CEF /SAVE

To monitor all disks (this restores the default behavior):

/DISKS

Turn off monitoring for the instance of the Admin service that will start when you click Start in the Services control panel.
/NOMONITOR

Turn off monitoring every time the Admin service starts.
/NOMONITOR /SAVE

Turn on monitoring for the instance of the Admin service that will start when you click Start in the Services control panel.
/MONITOR

Turn on monitoring every time the Admin service starts.
/MONITOR /SAVE

Apply the changes every time the Admin service starts.
/SAVE

For example, to monitor disks E and F every time the Admin service starts, type the following:

/DISKS=EF /SAVE

Click Start to start the Admin service.
Start other Enterprise Vault services as necessary.

--wayne

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5
I did search, and I did see postings about turning off monitoring, but didn't like the idea of the C:\ drive filling up on my server.  I don't think it's a good idea to ever let the C:\ drive fill up, even if it's only temporary.  I contacted technical support and they gave me another option, which as to change %TEMP% and %TMP% to another drive w/ more space.  They also pointed me to a registry key to shorten the window for purging the .TMP files:

"DelFilesOlderThanHours" as a DWORD within HKLM\Software\KVS\Enterprise Vault\AdminService

I went that route.  Thank's for confirming option 1.  I may still need it down the road.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Good to know you are sorted...

Please remember to mark this thread as resolved :)

--wayne

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
What version of EV are you using as this issue should have been fixed in EV8 SP2 and the temporary files should be cleaned up. So it would be interesting to know firstly what type of files are in your temp dir.

This temp files cleanup feature (‘DelFilesOlderThanHours’), which is hosted in Admin service, seems generic to me. The temp files have a name starting with “EV$” or “~DF”. So if these files are not deleted, it would automatically get cleaned up by this cleanup feature of Admin service (which deletes any file in %temp% dir starting with name “EV$” or “~DF”).

So really these files should be deleted immediately without the reg key if you are on EV8 SP2 and if they are not then that would be interesting to hear about.

RhoSysAdmin
Level 5
We're running 8.0 SP1.  The files that are taking up so much space are ~DF*.TMP.  I just found out about SP2 on Friday night and didn't have time to plan for it before our deployment.  I will be making plans this week to do the install sooner than later. 

Tech Support told me these .TMP files should disappear after 24 hours.  Does that sound right to you?  I guess I'll know tomorrow.

Thanks.

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
In EV8 SP2 they should be deleted immediately.