cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Enterprise Vault Reports without installing any EV components one the SQL Server

Jakob
Level 5
Partner

Hi,

i´m wondering if it´s possible to use Enterprise Vault Reporting without installing the EV Software on the SQL Server.

For my understanding the Software only creates the templates and it´s not realy needed. When i install DA Reports this is also possible from the DA Webconsole without installing any EV components on the sql server.

If i use a shared sql server for EV the installation of some additional software and the update process etc. could be difficult. That´s why i´m looking for this...

Jakob

7 REPLIES 7

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

Hi Jakob, Smiley Very Happy

EV reporting access the reports through Server Reporting Services Report Manager, probably to use different role models.

I do not think you can use ev reporting without sql reporting.

But if you could tell us what informations you need, somone could probably query the EV databases to get you this information. 

Jakob
Level 5
Partner

Hi CConsult,

i use querys to get the informations now and it works more or less. But sometimes it´s easier with predefined reports. 

The Reporting Component is just a configuration for SSRS. I could imagine that there is a way to use them without install the EV configuration manager on the SQL server.

CConsult
Partner    VIP   

@ChrisLangevin do you maybe have an idea if this could be working? Using EV Reporting without SQL Reporting.

Jakob
Level 5
Partner

Not without SQL Reporting...

without Installing EV Components on the SQL/SSRS Server. Like it´s possible in DA.

I guess the answer depends on what you mean by "install EV components." You certainly do not need to install the full EV server suite (services, Vault Admin Console, etc.) on your SQL Server Reporting Services machine. You just need to run the EV installer and choose only the EV Reporting Components, which should be available if the installer detects SSRS on the machine. This will install the predefined EV reports and a few libraries and executables that directly support the reporting functionality, but it's nowhere near the footprint of the full EV server install.

Capture.PNG

I hope that helps answer your question.

--Chris

Hi Chris,

of course I need the templates/reports/stored procedures etc. on the SSRS Server. But the other stuff (exe´s / dll´s) are - as it seems to me - just for the initial configuration. I´ve hoped that there is the possibility to make this configuration via remotetools like it´s solved in the Discovery Accelerator.

Jakob

I'm not so sure the other stuff is used just for initial configuration. Surely some of it is used for that, but I think they are also needed for ongoing functionality, for example providing the client interface for the security checks against EV's Roles-Based Administration to determine whether a given user has the rights to run certain reports.