cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User is unable to see the folder in Outlook and OWA

PRADiiP
Level 4

Hi All,

One of the user  is complaining to have all of his folder missing, while all the folder can be seen from the Archive Explorer but not from the Outlook and OWA

Environment Details

EV – 10.0.3

Windows Server 2008 R2

We enable to users using EVMP scripts which creates two folder named “ABC” and “XYZ” and customer retention policy would be applied to deleted the items from these folders after 20 months, and archives from others folder would be deleted in 80 days other than the ABC & XYZ,

Users laptop was replaced and after creating the outlook profile all the managed folders were missing so re-ran the script to enable the archiving for the user now ABC and XYZ folders are back but all the subfolders which were created underneath the ABC and XYZ are missing while those folders can be seen in   Archive explorer and items are accessible.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

So it sounds like even though you have EV set to delete both shortcut and archived items the users may not be allowed to delete.

You can check the following:

To verify Site Settings
1. Open the Vault Administration Console.

2. Go to the Site properties and select Archive Settings tab.

3. Verify that the option Users can delete items from their archives is enabled.

To verify the retention category
1.  Expand to the Retention Categories.

2.  Right-click on each retention category and select Properties.

3.  Verify that the option Prevent deletion of archived items in this category is not checked.

4  Synchronize all mailboxes from the Synchronize tab on each Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task.

5. Open a command prompt and type IISRESET and press Enter.

In this case, it is fortunate because you can use the Export archive wizard to restore the items back and then set the IgnoreEVDates registry key and allow the items to be re-archived.

How to Force archiving based on the Received Date of email after restoring messages from the archive

Article:TECH76532  |  Created: 2009-01-06  |  Updated: 2014-03-11  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76532

The user should then have their sub-folders and shortcuts back.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling

If they are present in AE but not Exchange then the folders were deleted by the user or some other process, not EV.  Have you checked the Exchange Dumpster?

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello EV_Help,

EVPM folders are created in the Exchange mailbox. Replacing and recreating the user's laptop should not removed any folders from the mailbox. If the sub-folders are missing and you can see them in AE, you can restore the archived items from those EVPM folders back to the mailbox so the user can access those items again. As Tony mentioned, you cna check the Exchange dumpster to confirm if the folders were deleted by mistake.

I hope this helps.

PRADiiP
Level 4

Thanks Tony and Gabe for the response, however I have set the policy to delete the Items from vault once deleted from the user, at the same time there were few items which I was able to recover from the Recover Deleted items container.. just wanted to know do I need to looke for Dumpster yet?

Thanks in advnace for all your suggestions

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

EV_Help,

I thought that the archived items were accesible from AE because you stated: "while those folders can be seen in Archive explorer and items are accessible", that's why I suggested to restore the items from the archive back to the mailbox. However, if the archiving policy is set to allow users to delete items from their archived *and* to delete the archived item once the EV shortcut is deleted, only option could be perform a DR process to recover the items from the user's archive since the data was already deleted from the EV server. In addition, in this scenario, the dumpster wouldn't help if the archived items were already deleted.

I hope this helps.

PRADiiP
Level 4

Hello Gabe,

Thanks for your response, yes you are correct user can see all the Sub folders and items inside it in AE, but they  cant see that in Outlook also checked from SQL everything seems to be OK...my concern is if the folders\shortcuts would have been deleted then the shortcuts would have been also deleted from the AE.. but its strange case as All the shortcuts and Sub folders are there in AE

TonySterling

So it sounds like even though you have EV set to delete both shortcut and archived items the users may not be allowed to delete.

You can check the following:

To verify Site Settings
1. Open the Vault Administration Console.

2. Go to the Site properties and select Archive Settings tab.

3. Verify that the option Users can delete items from their archives is enabled.

To verify the retention category
1.  Expand to the Retention Categories.

2.  Right-click on each retention category and select Properties.

3.  Verify that the option Prevent deletion of archived items in this category is not checked.

4  Synchronize all mailboxes from the Synchronize tab on each Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task.

5. Open a command prompt and type IISRESET and press Enter.

In this case, it is fortunate because you can use the Export archive wizard to restore the items back and then set the IgnoreEVDates registry key and allow the items to be re-archived.

How to Force archiving based on the Received Date of email after restoring messages from the archive

Article:TECH76532  |  Created: 2009-01-06  |  Updated: 2014-03-11  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76532

The user should then have their sub-folders and shortcuts back.

PRADiiP
Level 4

Thanks Tony for your suggestion finally we had to Export\Import the archive but could not get the RCA of this, as users are allowed to delete the items.