Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User's Mailbox not archiving all emails as expected.

Level 4
I have a user that we used as a test user when we first started setting up Enterprise Vault.  Now we are getting ready to go production and we have started our pilot test.  Everyone's email is archiving as expected except for the user we used at the beginning of testing Enterprise Vault.  Below is what has happened with the individuals Account.

1.  We test email archiving with his account.  Everything we as expected.
2.  When we got done testing with his account, we restored all his emails back to his inbox.
3.  We deleted his archive because all his emails were restored to his inbox
4.  Disabled his account in Admin Console
5.  Re-enabled his account and it created a new archive
6.  Now there is only a select few emails that get archived. 
7.  I checked the modify date and it meets the criteria to get archived but it doesn't.
8.  Below are the error messages I get (also it's like he is getting the old policies that we tested with applied to his account)


Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Archive Task
Event ID: 3288
Date: 5/21/2009
Time: 3:39:20 PM
User: N/A
Computer: evault
A problem has occurred while archiving a message.
The archived item was not found or is no longer archive pending.

Task: Exchange Mailbox Archiving Task for emailserver
Message Title: FW: New Keys
Users mailbox dn: /O=EWM/OU=SITE1/cn=Recipients/cn=user account 
Internal reference: CArchivingAgent::MakeItemPendingAndProcessMsg [0x8004010F]

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

I get this error 3 times and then it times out.  Any help is greatly appreciated and let me know if there is any more info you need from me.


Accepted Solutions

Level 4

I had to zap the mailbox.

View solution in original post


Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
OK so the first thing to deal with is the fact that you have archived the items and then restored them. When an item has been archived and then restores a MAPI attribute is stamped onto that message called Restored Date (I think off top of head).

When we go to archive a message again if this MAPI attribute exists then we base eligibility of that item from that particular date. So for example:-

01/01/09 - Item Archived
01/02/09 - Item Restored

20 day policy would mean that the item would not get rearchived until 21/02/09

Now from your error message it would appear that it is attempting to turn th eitem back into a shortcut but is failing and the key message is 0x8004010F which is a MAPI error code.

MAPI error codes are listed in the following document:-

You will see that the error code is MAPI_E_NOT_FOUND

There are variou MAPI troubleshooting guides out there and it may take a bit of trial and error to get to the bottom of it but as you state that this is a test user to be honest it will probably be quicker to just export to PST, disable the user, delete the archive, enable the user and import PST.

Level 4

I had to zap the mailbox.