cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Users inbox missing from their Vault

James_Slack
Level 6

Had a report from one of our end users that their inbox is not showing up in their Vault.

I had a look myself and sure enough, it is not.

I did a rebuild of the index, in case that was the issue and it completed OK, reporting that it had added 133347 items - but there are less than 1000 items when I look in their archive explorere.

Could some folders be hidden somehow? If so, how do i get them back?

--------------------------------------------------------

Completed index volume update

Index Volume: 1CE2B832B3B0CAA41BBC51B1395DA4E281110000vaultsite/Volume:631 (USER NAME)
Index Volume Path: L:\Indexes\Location01\1CE2B832B3B0CAA41BBC51B1395DA4E281110000vaultsite
Job Id: Vol_631
Job Author: DOMAIN\VAULT ADMIN

Job Description: Rebuild index volume

Job elapsed time: 02:51:55 (hours:minutes:seconds)
Processing time: 02:51:54 (hours:minutes:seconds)
Number of items added: 133347
Number of items additions abandoned: 0
Number of items deleted: 0
Number of items updated: 0

--------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

James_Slack
Level 6

OK, all sorted now.

For those who end up here via the search, here is the full story.

One of my users were missing most of their folders from Archive Explorer, in fact, they should have had over 100 folders but they only had 7.

I did some investigation following on from links posted above and found that what had happened was that one of the subfolders had basically marked itself as being the root folder. When looking for a root folder, if you have more than one root folder, Vault picks the one that is alphabetically first. So, my incorrect subfolder with the name “Security” was alphabetically before the correct root folder “Top of information store” so it was being treated as root and you could only see the folders under that.

To resolve this.

Firstly, backup your SQL! If you make a bad SQL command, you could kill your Vault.

Go in to the VAC and find the user having the issue. Under Archives, open the user in questions Exchange Mailbox and go to the advanced tab and copy down their Archive ID (like “67asd86a87d6sd78a68a67as6d78a6vaultsite”)

You need to get on your Vault SQL box and in the Server manger, run the following command, adding the users Archive ID to the ArchiveVEID field.

USE EnterpriseVaultDirectory

SELECT * from ArchiveFolderView

WHERE ArchiveVEID = 1F5260E49CC1CCF48907D5A198984DED71110000vaultsite

This will list all the folders. You SHOULD only have ONE with a ParentFolderRootIdentity of NULL and that is “Top Of Information Store”, but if you are having the same issue as me, then you will have more than one.

Scroll through the list and find any wrong NULL vaules here.

Say you have a folder called Security that has a NULL ParentFolderRootIdentity, this is wrong, so you need to work out which folder security SHOULD have been in. For me, it should have been in a folder called INBOX\CARGO. Look through the folder list to find INBOX\CARGO and once you have you need to take that folders RootIdentity – a numeric value.

Now what we are going to do is set our broken folder SECURITY to not appear at the top, but under the INBOX\CARGO folder by changing its ParentFolderRootIdentity. If you picked the wrong folder, it is no mega big deal, it’s just how the folder will be presented under Archive Explorer. If it’s in the wrong place I’m sure the user will tell you and you can change it again.

Be VERY careful with this command!

update ArchiveFolderView

set parentfolderrootidentity = 6763     --This is the INBOX\CARGO folder we are going to set.

where rootidentity = 6918      --This is the broken Security folder that had NULL.

As I said, be VERY careful here. If you were to run just the top two lines, you would kill your SQL as ALL ParentFolderRootIdentitys would have been set to this folder... and I mean ALL.

Now, as we have just updated the wrong Null folder to be in the correct folder, you should now fix any other wrong folder you may have for this user using the same method. I had this issue with 2 users. One user had 2 dodgy folders, the other user had 8.

Now the user is fixed and all folders pointing to the right place and ONLY “Top Of information Store” is pointing to a NULL value for ParentFolderRootIdentity. Go in to the VAC and do a full sync of that user, including folder Hierarchy.

That should be the user fixed. If they are in IE they will likely need to clear cache to see the updated folder view in AE.

Cheers

James

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK so the index isn't anything really to do with Archive Explorer or Virtual Vault as these folders are actually built from the ArchiveFolder table within the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database.

Try this technote
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH52763

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

James_Slack
Level 6

Further to that, I checked their e-mail in OWA and I have found the gap where that folder was, so it looks like they have deleted it.

Not sure what difference that makes or if it was the cause... will try and find out when this was deleted.

James_Slack
Level 6

That info is definitely the right ball park but sadly not exactly my problem.

The technote talks about not having the 'Top of Information Store' not have its ParentFolderRootIdentity set to NULL... mine is ok here, but this is where the problem lies.

In Archive Explorer, I can only see 7 folders.

Looking at the SQL command that lists all the folders, I can only see folders that have the parent root idenity of "6905". "6905" itself is actually a subfolder called "Security" - this has its ParentFolderRootIdentity set to NULL.

I am pretty sure this is the issue and I guess to fix it I need to work out which folder Security is in an manually assign the ParentFolderRootIdentity.

Can someone (JesusWept2?) please confirm that's right.

Many thanks

James

James_Slack
Level 6

Another update.

I have been comparing the broken folder that is stealing the root with another folder that is probably OK.

I can see that the dodgy root stealing folder has;

A blank (empty, not NULL) FolderPath

ParentFolderRootIdentity is NULL

The ParentFolderVEID is set to NULL

The rest looks the same the other folder which would be working OK.

So, I guess I need to manyally add these vaules, any idea how I do this?

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Might be worth contacting Support to get this tool. I've not used it but I have heard about it - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH137230   

James_Slack
Level 6

Thanks, will look into it.

James_Slack
Level 6

OK, all sorted now.

For those who end up here via the search, here is the full story.

One of my users were missing most of their folders from Archive Explorer, in fact, they should have had over 100 folders but they only had 7.

I did some investigation following on from links posted above and found that what had happened was that one of the subfolders had basically marked itself as being the root folder. When looking for a root folder, if you have more than one root folder, Vault picks the one that is alphabetically first. So, my incorrect subfolder with the name “Security” was alphabetically before the correct root folder “Top of information store” so it was being treated as root and you could only see the folders under that.

To resolve this.

Firstly, backup your SQL! If you make a bad SQL command, you could kill your Vault.

Go in to the VAC and find the user having the issue. Under Archives, open the user in questions Exchange Mailbox and go to the advanced tab and copy down their Archive ID (like “67asd86a87d6sd78a68a67as6d78a6vaultsite”)

You need to get on your Vault SQL box and in the Server manger, run the following command, adding the users Archive ID to the ArchiveVEID field.

USE EnterpriseVaultDirectory

SELECT * from ArchiveFolderView

WHERE ArchiveVEID = 1F5260E49CC1CCF48907D5A198984DED71110000vaultsite

This will list all the folders. You SHOULD only have ONE with a ParentFolderRootIdentity of NULL and that is “Top Of Information Store”, but if you are having the same issue as me, then you will have more than one.

Scroll through the list and find any wrong NULL vaules here.

Say you have a folder called Security that has a NULL ParentFolderRootIdentity, this is wrong, so you need to work out which folder security SHOULD have been in. For me, it should have been in a folder called INBOX\CARGO. Look through the folder list to find INBOX\CARGO and once you have you need to take that folders RootIdentity – a numeric value.

Now what we are going to do is set our broken folder SECURITY to not appear at the top, but under the INBOX\CARGO folder by changing its ParentFolderRootIdentity. If you picked the wrong folder, it is no mega big deal, it’s just how the folder will be presented under Archive Explorer. If it’s in the wrong place I’m sure the user will tell you and you can change it again.

Be VERY careful with this command!

update ArchiveFolderView

set parentfolderrootidentity = 6763     --This is the INBOX\CARGO folder we are going to set.

where rootidentity = 6918      --This is the broken Security folder that had NULL.

As I said, be VERY careful here. If you were to run just the top two lines, you would kill your SQL as ALL ParentFolderRootIdentitys would have been set to this folder... and I mean ALL.

Now, as we have just updated the wrong Null folder to be in the correct folder, you should now fix any other wrong folder you may have for this user using the same method. I had this issue with 2 users. One user had 2 dodgy folders, the other user had 8.

Now the user is fixed and all folders pointing to the right place and ONLY “Top Of information Store” is pointing to a NULL value for ParentFolderRootIdentity. Go in to the VAC and do a full sync of that user, including folder Hierarchy.

That should be the user fixed. If they are in IE they will likely need to clear cache to see the updated folder view in AE.

Cheers

James