cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using EVPM to Archive random items in multiple mailboxes older than 12 months

LeeO
Level 3

Hi

Currently running EV8 SP5 (don't shoot me), but upgrading to EV10.

We have about 111,200 mailboxes currently being archived, and in some of the mailboxes there are (I believe) corrupt messages that will not archive on a normal/scheduled run.  I have raised a case with support and they can't help (EV8 is in partial support). These mailboxes are constantly over size and archiving all new items,  but not these old items, they are just IPM.Note files so should archive fine, and according to our policies.

I can manually archive (store in vault) on individual items, but using the Run Now, or scheduled tasks it will not archive items.

So my thoughts are to create an EVPM script and archive items in a mailbox that are over 12 months old (this should capture all the mails that will not archive).

Is this possible, and if so, can I do it on an input file (of all the users/usernames) rather than running it and then changing the name of the user that I need to archive.

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Well to be fair, that's the first time you mentioned Quota based archiving. But your original question was can I use EVPM to archive items > 12 months to which I still say just change the policy because it would be doing the same as what you're requesting via evpm
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6

Why not just set the archiving policy to archive anything older than 12 months as opposed to EVPM?
If you don't want to change the policy you could create a new policy archiving only items 12 months or older, then just use a DL based Provisioning Group that points at the new policy and then add the users in and out of the DL as you see fit.

EVPM is a bit overkill and you'd need to zap each user after you have finished with them.
But based on the title of this post, theres no way to archive random mailboxes or random items.

As for the partial support, that stops hotfixes, reproducing issues and escalations to dev or management escalations, it does not stop them from reviewing dtraces, webexing with you and attempting to troubleshoot the issue

LeeO
Level 3

Hi,

The archiving policy is set to 60 days,  it just never touches these items in the mailbox. (but one can manually archive them), it does archive items according to the policy (age and space) but never touches certain items within the mailbox (which it should).

Support are still working on it,  but I'm trying to research alternative options.

JesusWept3
Level 6

Then just set the policy to 12 months, synch a couple mailboxes, and do a Run Now on those users and see if anything archives, if it does, then you could apply it to all and see if that kick starts everything.

Regardless of the policy, people will still be able to manual archive regardless of the age of the items

If you want to ping me any dtraces, i don't mind helping you look at it

LeeO
Level 3

I think you miss my point..  the policy applied to the mailbox is done on 65% capacity, and 60 days old... it should,  by rights, archive everything older than 60 days old..  it archives stuff from 2 days ago (because the mailbox is overlimits) but then stops and gives the Error There were too few archivable items available to take mailbox '/o=Queensland Health/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=XXXXXXXX' below the quota-free level of 35%.)    when there are items in there from 14 months ago it should archive...

Users, as is normal, do not want to manually archive, they expect the system to work,  which it should of course...  and they are complaining that their mailboxes are always full... 

I can do a quick DTRACE,  just on 4 while running archiving for this users?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Well to be fair, that's the first time you mentioned Quota based archiving. But your original question was can I use EVPM to archive items > 12 months to which I still say just change the policy because it would be doing the same as what you're requesting via evpm

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

The EVPM policy won't change the archiving method.  It only sets the policy.  If you can't archive them items via scheduled or run now archiving runs then EVPM won't change that. 

I'd pick a single mailbox experiencing the issue, dtrace a run now on it, then dtrace a manual archiving and look for the variances to try and determine why it is not archiving. 

Another possibility would be that if user's have the ability to change policy there could be issues with user's disabling archiving from various folders.