cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using archive explorer through outlook - delete option is greyed out but using browser it works fine... Where's the problem?

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

We have several (apparently one whole department)  users who cannot delete from vault using archive explorer through outlook because the option is greyed out trying to choose it from the right mous-click selection... But using the archive explorer through a browser everything works fine...

Deleting is allowed from the site settings.

What might cause this type of behavior?

Sani B.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You need to create webapp.ini (\program file \ enterprisevault) with following line and restart EV admin + IIS service.

ArchiveExplorerDelete=1

Refer "How to customize Enterprise Vault web applications using the WebApp.ini file" http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54559

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6

You need to create webapp.ini (\program file \ enterprisevault) with following line and restart EV admin + IIS service.

ArchiveExplorerDelete=1

Refer "How to customize Enterprise Vault web applications using the WebApp.ini file" http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54559

A_J1
Level 6

If the WebApp.ini file is already present under the enterprise vault Directory, then Just add

ArchiveExplorerDelete=1

And  Reset IIS and Restart EV Services.

Simon_B_
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Be sure to perform an iisreset on the EV Server and to empty browser cache on the client as the information whether the deletion button is available can be cached up to 24 hours (both client- and serverside)

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Sani,

You mentioned  that this issue is affecting only one department. What about the rest of the users? I was wondering if this department has a retention category assigned where deletion is not allowed. If you have the site setting to delete archived data, you need to make sure that the retention category allows deletion as well. Of course, you also need to make sure that the above suggestions regarding the WebApp.ini file are in place.

I hope this helps.

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hey .. I am currious like Gabe. If this feature was not available you would not have anyone having it.. I do not know that hte edits to the WebApp file are going to help you under those conditions.

Retention categories can prohibit deletions as Gabe suggested... you may also chose to work arround the issue and set the Exchange desktop poolicy to Launch AE in a browser rather than in outlook  ( setting under Advanced Outlook) .

you can look a the IIS logs and see what credentials are authenticating when using IE vs using Outlook. It could just be that the user you are authenticating with via IE has permissions to modify the data and the users do not.

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks for all your responces, it simply was the matter ofWebapp.ini file missing.

I think the problem was affecting everyone but just one department reported it in. But since I created the file - everything is in order now.

Thank you.

Sani B.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6

Glad to see that your issue is sorted out, Many thanks for update.