cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAC - Indexing summary page showing network error

Mike_Wilc
Level 3

Hi Folks,

I'm struggling to find any useful info on the net about the address of the webpage what should be displayed when you click on the Indexing item in the left pane of VAC. All the time getting an error in the right part of the VAC selecting Indexing:

Network Error (dns_server_failure) 

Your request could not be processed because an error occurred contacting the DNS server.
The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem.
For assistance, contact your network support team. 

Any idea?

Windows 2012 Std, EV 10.0.4.1189.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Mike,

Looking @ fiddler from one of my LAB while clicking on index summary page inside the VAC, it uses following URL

http://sitealias/enterprisevault/indexing.aspx/siteid=<siteid>

Please check if the site alias (open VAC, right click on site, properties, General tab ) present in DNS. If not present then probably you need to create the same alias then try to access index summary page.

Regards

Pradeep Papnai

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

is there anything in the event logs when you do this? are all the EV servers in your site available?

Mike_Wilc
Level 3

There is only 1 EV server. Nothing in the logs. It has been displayed since 1st run of the VAC after 10.0.4 install. I know there should be index summary page displayed but don't know address to diagnose and fix that. 

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Maybe a dtrace of the mmc will reveal something.  Also, check the IIS logs.

Mike_Wilc
Level 3

I've found that should be a page http://<EV-servername>/enterprisevault/indexing.aspx displayed there.

I can open this page from browser, but it appears "dead" - can't use buttons, no index summary data displayed. IIS logs shows 200 and that's all.

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The page will have been coded to work from within the VAC, what you are seeing is a click to run a function, or something similar, so will not work from outside of the VAC.

As Tony says, Dtrace mmc, but also dtrace w3wp as it will be using that for the webpage, and DirectoryService as it will be pulling info back from the DBs as you left clik on the 'Indexing' branch and see what the Dtrace says.

EdLacey
Level 5
Certified

My guess would be something to do with the server name you gave for Directory Service Computer when you first launched the VAC after upgrade. Try changing it in the VAC to localhost

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not a bad suggestion, the results of this will be interesting, but to be honest with you if the Directory Computer setup in the VAC was wrong or could not be reached, you shouldn't be able to open the VAC in the first place.

It would be the equivilent of the Directory Service being shutdown and as such we wouldnt be able to contact SQL for all the other VAC information.

Also the Indexing.aspx page will be housed on each EV Server, so at the very least that page should be displayed if it was able to access the page on the localhost, then the connection to the Directory Service will be made to populate the page with the information required.

Mike_Wilc
Level 3

Right. I was trying different names (aliases, localhost) but no effects. VAC was working fine. DTrace shows no errors. Need to dig deeper. Could be something outstanding after AD domain migration and several EV upgrades. 

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Ok, have you got SSL implemented in the EV Environment?

And if you have, in the Dtrace do you see the call being passed to the EV Alias rather than a FQDN?

Mike_Wilc
Level 3

No SSL in use on evault connections.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

you might just try a reinstall of the EV binaries.

Pradeep-Papnai
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Mike,

Looking @ fiddler from one of my LAB while clicking on index summary page inside the VAC, it uses following URL

http://sitealias/enterprisevault/indexing.aspx/siteid=<siteid>

Please check if the site alias (open VAC, right click on site, properties, General tab ) present in DNS. If not present then probably you need to create the same alias then try to access index summary page.

Regards

Pradeep Papnai

Mike_Wilc
Level 3

Hi, everything was fine set in DNS. In fact it was some kind of strange problem with Internet Explorer settings locally on the EV server - after resetting to default it started to ask for permissions but right page has been shown at last.

Many thanks for help!