cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Cache auto-enabled in EV Client 9.0.1 ?

Mnereng
Level 4

It seems to me that Vault Cache is automatically enabled in on EV Client 9.0.1 (Outlook 2010), even though the Desktop policy is set to "Allow users to decide." 

I have confirmed that Desktop is setup and applied as expected.  And I've 'Reset' the Vault Cache.  After restarting Oultook, Vault Cache starts synching right away.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Please tell me this isn't a bug and I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks,

Mike

24 REPLIES 24

Maverik
Level 6

Has the user/s been synced with the setting allow user's to decide? Users can be synced via the archiving task.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Have you upgraded a computer to Outlook 2010 / EV9.1 client, or was it a "fresh install"?

(i.e. have there been any previous EV client installations)

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Mnereng
Level 4

This is long standing policy, no changes have been made.  So the policy works as expected against an 8.0.4 client / Outlook 2003, and requires the user to enable Vault Cache.  The same policy against a 9.0.1 client / Outlook 2010 automatically enables Vault Cache.

But for grins, I just did a synchronization and confirmed the issue still exists. yes

Mnereng
Level 4

Fresh install.

I'm beginning to think that this is a repeat of the issue described here (previously fixed in 8.0.3): http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70545

I will experiment with setting the "Show Setup Wizard" to ON to see if that has any impact and let you know the results.

Mnereng
Level 4

I confirmed that when "Show Setup Wizard" is set to On, the 9.0.1 client responds just like the 8.0.2 client.  It prompts to enable Vault Cache and walk through the wizard, but on the first screen you have the option to "Do not setup Vault Cache at this time." 

I have not yet installed the 8.0.4 server hotfix specified in the 9.0.1 client read me, but I don't see any reason to suspect that will fix it.  I have a feeling I'll have to wait for another service pack or hotfix. no

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So you have the "Allow users to decide" option selected, but, you also have the "show wizard" option set to "off", and the net result is?

Working for cloudficient.com

Mnereng
Level 4

The result is that Vault Cache is automtically turned on without a warning or a prompt.  The same as if the Vault Cache settings were set to "Automatically enable."  The exact same as described in this technote: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH70545

I have submitted a case to tech support.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay - excellent.

Mnereng
Level 4

Symantec has confirmed this issue and created a technote. 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH143969

Currently slated to be fixed in SP2. no

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

It's also described in my technote :

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH142653

Which will soon be replaced and integrated in to an EV 9.0.1 Late Breaking News.

Interesting neither my technote (I know, I'm bad!) and the one you referenced, shows the "other workaround" that I worked on.

Mnereng
Level 4

What is the "other workaround" that you worked on?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So before deploying the 9.0.1 client, run a script on each machine.  

If you're using EV 8 clients already, then the script looks for *.mdc in the users OVRoot folder.  If it's not found, then they're not enabled for VC, so set OVEnabled=0 for the user in the registry.

If you're using EV 2007 clients already, then the script looks for *.db in the users OVRoot folder.  If it's not found, then they're not enabled for VC, so set OVEnabled=0 for the user in the registry.

Or just go with the second option all the time.  

This way when the client is upgraded to 9.0.1 OVEnabled will be set to 0, so you won't hit the bug where VC automatically starts.

Mnereng
Level 4

Thanks for the input Rob.  I actually spoke to Alex Brown about this a couple weeks ago, and he mentioned the same thing.  Unfortunately, we can't seem to get any one at Symantec to craft the script for us.   I know it may sound like a simple script, and I think the logic is sound, but  I don't have any resources like that available in house.  Do you think you could throw something together?  Even if its not perfect, if you can provide a shell I can test it and tweak as necessary.

Thanks,

Mike

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hmm... let me check to see if I am "allowed".

Also worth noting that it might not make 9.0.2.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I'll take a look at this early next week.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Here is the beginnings of some nice vbscript, which I assume could be run from a login script or some-such :

'SAMPLE SCRIPT ONLY
'NOT FOR PRODUCTION USE

' Assumptions
' 1.  HOMEPATH is the default local path
' 2.  OVROOT has not been modified

' Logic
' 1.  If *.db does not exist in the KVS\Enterprise Vault folder, then set OVEnabled = 0

wscript.echo "Starting ..."
bsetkey = true
' Check if *.db exists

set wshell = createobject("wscript.shell")
set wshellenv = wshell.environment("Process")
startpath = wshellenv("HOMEPATH")

strDir = "c:\" & startpath & "\local settings\application data\kvs\enterprise vault"
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set objDir = FSO.GetFolder(strDir)
getInfo(objDir)

Sub getInfo(pCurrentDir)

For Each aItem In pCurrentDir.Files 
  If LCase(Right(Cstr(aItem.Name), 2)) = "db" Then
    wscript.Echo aItem.path 
    bsetkey = false ' at least one db file found
  End If
Next

For Each aItem In pCurrentDir.SubFolders
  getInfo(aItem) 'passing recursively
Next

End Sub

' Set the registry key to 0

if bsetkey = true then 

wscript.echo "Setting OVEnabled to 0 for current user"
const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001
strComputer = "."
Set StdOut = WScript.StdOut

Set oReg=GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" &_ 
strComputer & "\root\default:StdRegProv")

strKeyPath = "SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Client"
strValueName = "OVEnabled"
dwValue = 0
oReg.SetDWORDValue HKEY_CURRENT_USER,strKeyPath,strValueName,dwValue

else

wscript.echo "At least one .db file found, not setting OVEnabled"

end if

wscript.echo "Finished."

Mnereng
Level 4

Thanks so much Rob.  I'll start testing it right away.

Sly
Level 3

Hi,

We are having the issue with 9.0.2.

is there a hotfix for this bug yet?

thanks.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Unfortunately I don't think this made 9.0.2  -- I will check, and get back to you.