cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Cache users who also use Citrix - what's the best config?

Anthony1st
Level 3

Hi all,

I'm running EV9 and am figuring out how to handle my laptop users. These users will need Vault Cache to ensure they have access to archived E-mails. All fairly straightforward so far.

However, some of these users also use Citrix to access their E-mail. Although you can install the Vault Client to Citrix, it doesn't support the use of Vault Cache.

As far as I can tell you can only enable or disable vault cache on a per user basis, rather than a per-device basis, which leads me to the following:

Is there a way of setting a registry key or similar on a system such that Vault Cache never turns on, irrespective of whether it's enabled for a user or not?

If not, then I figure that I'd simply not install the Vault Client to Citrix and then set up the stubs so that they still work okay and look okay when viewed from a system without the Vault client installed.

Has anyone got any brighter ideas or tackled this one before?

Thanks,

A.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You could set the policy to require the Outlook OST (offline store) so if Outlook is in online mode on the Citrix machine Vault Cache would not be available.

This is a really good conversation about this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-configure-vault-cache-so-its-only-enabled-laptops

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You could set the policy to require the Outlook OST (offline store) so if Outlook is in online mode on the Citrix machine Vault Cache would not be available.

This is a really good conversation about this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-configure-vault-cache-so-its-only-enabled-laptops

Anthony1st
Level 3

Thanks Tony, that looks good. Given that I only need to make the changes to the Citrix environment, it should be slightly easier to implement the registry key change as we already use Group Policy loopback processing.

I'll test it next week and post back how I went.

Thanks again,

A.

Anthony1st
Level 3

I'll also look at the online option as out Citrix environment doesn't use cached mode. Who knows, it might just work with our current config.

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Anthony,

If you are running Outlook 2010 caching is supported on Windows 2008R2 RDS.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179067.aspx

Outlook 2010 supports running in Cached Exchange Mode in a Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services) environment that has multiple users.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You could always set a registry key at logon ...  and set OVEnabled = 0

Working for cloudficient.com

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes, I'd go for the Registry Key on those Citrix Servers.

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Anthony1st
Level 3

I've done some preliminary tests on a client system and it looks like the setting "Offline Store required" being set to "Yes" provides me the solution I want.

This setting is found under the desktop policy, then the specific policy, advanced tab, "Vault Cache" settings. Since our Citrix environment always uses Outlook in "online" mode, then this setting ensures that Vault cache won't be enabled in Citrix, irrespective of what the other Vault Cache settings are.

If you wanted different Vault Cache settings depending on which system you're coming in from or you wanted to selectively disable vault cache on different systems that had offline mode set in Outlook, there'd still be an issue. However, this works just fine for me.

Thanks Tony.