cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Journal mailbox getting out of control

Marc_Beder
Level 3

Running Enterprise Vault 7.5 SP2 (yes, I know I need to upgrade) and Exchange 2003 SP2.

The Journal mailbox has ballooned out of control and is currently 70+GB in size. In an effort to control this, a new Journal Mailbox has been created and the Journal task has been adjusted to archive to the new mailbox.

However, the problem here is that this change isn't taking effect. Mail is still being journaled to the original mailbox and it continues to grow in size. I have stopped the Journalling task and restarted the services in an effort to make the mailbox change take effect.

Any suggestions on how to go about tackling this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

curious...  The Journal mailbox shouldn't have more than a few minutes in it.  Also, changing the Journal Task will only effect how EV takes email out of the journal mailbox.  Exchange controls how it is sent in.

So.  1)   Have you configured your Exchange Journaling to point to the new journal mailbox?

2)  Are items being copied to the Journal archive, but not being removed from the Journal mailbox, or is there no archiving occuring?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

curious...  The Journal mailbox shouldn't have more than a few minutes in it.  Also, changing the Journal Task will only effect how EV takes email out of the journal mailbox.  Exchange controls how it is sent in.

So.  1)   Have you configured your Exchange Journaling to point to the new journal mailbox?

2)  Are items being copied to the Journal archive, but not being removed from the Journal mailbox, or is there no archiving occuring?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I agree with maxwits, step back a second, and make sure that Exchange is sending journal data to the "new location".

Then have a look at the EV side of things to see :-

a) Is *anything* being processed out of the journal mailbox

b) Is stuff being processed, but it's "slow" (or at least not keeping up with the incoming volume)

Working for cloudficient.com

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Assuming you have a seperate store for jorunal archive, check in the properties to see if you have the setting : "remove safety copies" to 'immediately after archive' (or after backup, immediately for journaling)

Further, I agree with Max and Rob. Step back, and make sure that firstly, you have the new journalmailbox being filled by exchange.

Verify that you have an EV systemmailbox on the server where the journalmailbox resides.

Verify that you can (on the journalarchiving server) login to the journal mailbox using the vault service account.

Verify that no quota's apply to the journalmailboxes. Verify it is not scanned by any AV-application. If necessary, put the journal task in report mode, let the queues empty, delete the task and the queues belonging to it, recreate the task.

Also, what I miss in your initial post is if you created a task to empty out the old journalmailbox. You wrote you adjusted the existing task. If there is no task for the old journalmailbox, it will not grow less in size.

Regards. Gertjan

Marc_Beder
Level 3

Thank you gents for being my "light bulb".

I had a feeling it would be something simple that I was missing as I had checked over the config a number of times and was simply missing the most obvious....typical!

Exchange is now set to send Journal to the correct mailbox. Will now begin the process of Exmerging out from the old Journal mailbox and importing back in to the new Journal mailbox.