cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Service Account Locked Out

Cristie_Bolt
Level 3

Hello:

I have installed EV 7.5 in our lab environment on a virtual server with SQL 2005 on the same machine. We are using Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003, and my Exchange mailbox archiving was working for a few months on a handful of lab mailboxes as expected. After coming back from vacation recently, my VSA was locked out (we have a 3 attempt policy) so to troubleshoot the problem I stopped all the SQL and EV services and reset the VSA password, changed it on all the services and tried restarting them. Something keeps locking out the account and I am stumped as to what it could be. The services I've set the password on are SQL Server, SQL Server Agent, SQL Server FullText Search. EVAdmin, EV Directory Service, EV Indexing, EV Shopping, EV Storage, EV Task Controller.

Anyone have any ideas for me to try? Thanks in advance, I'm a new EV user.

5 REPLIES 5

jpriddy
Level 4
Make sure Windows security auditing is enabled on your domain controller and watch for failure audits for the vsa account in the logs.  That might give you more info.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi there

You should NOT change the VSA Password directly on the services.

There is a password reset function in the VAC, on the Directory node.

(Right click -> properties on "Directory on <COMPUTER>")

You will find the "Service Account" there, change this one.

It will make sure that all services, tasks, etc. use the new password.

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Cristie_Bolt
Level 3

Thanks. I tried the service account tab in the Directory properties within the admin console. The error I am getting states: The password for ... could not be validated. 

I also have an additional vault server in the same site but shut it down to try and isolate the problem, could this be part of the password validation problem?

Again, thanks in advance for any advice.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

That's possible, yes.

Have you sorted this out?

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Cristie_Bolt
Level 3
I reinstalled the site and am now can enable/disable mailboxes and search the archives. Thanks for following up, I believe the problem I had was related to SQL.