cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Service Account Throttling Policy

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   

Hello everybody,

Once again I need help regarding the exchange migration from 2010 to 2016 ( both on site).

WE have a  Default Throttling Policy on our exchange environment.

Default 2010 : 5000 Recipient Rate limit

Default 2016 : 10000 Recipient Rate limit

In both environments we have special throthling Policies for EV as recommended.

My Service Account is in Exchange 2010.

What do I have to do  to make sure the exchange 2016 mailboxes are archived correctly ( and whatever the amount of items to archive is) for the exchange 2016 Mailboxes?

We are speaking of ~20000 mailboxes so both limit's are really quickly reached if not disabled.

In my understanding for the exchange 2010 machines as the system mailbox is 2010, it will use the ev throttling policy of 2010 as my Mailbox is on a exchange 2010 server.

But for the exchange 2016 as the system Mailbox is on 2016 which Ev throttling policy will be applied  ?

Should I migrate the service account to 2016 ? and Give it the unlimited EV Throttling Policy ?

I know this is rather complicated , but I really need help on this one. Thank you so much

Sandrine

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Sandrine,

As far as I know, the throtling policy is assigned to the Vault Service Account. This (normally) is the account which runs the archiving task. If you add Exchange 2016 servers, you need to rerun the throttling Powershell, to enable it also for the new servers. If you use a specific account to run the tasks, you need to configure throttling for that account(s).

I believe what you are describing as the recipient rate is the amount of recipients (which is defined in a registry key right MaxNumOfRecipients under ..\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Agents)

This article https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100012182 describes how to do it manually. It lists Exchange 2013, but also applies to Exchange 2016 afaik.

See Installing and configuring guide (as you know..)

Regards. Gertjan

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   

Once again thank you Gertjan for you so great help.

I'll try to re-run running Throttling powershell .

And the recipient rate is the amount of mails a user can send within 24 hours.

Due to phising issues we had to restrict this.

Sandrine

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

ah. I'm not sure on that, but I believe that a send restriction does not interfere with the archiving would it?

I mean even if a message is send to 10000 recipients from 1 mailbox, it would only be seen as 1 journal message (with 10000 recipients, but that does not influence EV archiving)

Regards. Gertjan

sandrine_goetha
   VIP   

Hello Gertjan,

Once again thank you for your support.

I know posted the question to our consulting company. As here doesn't seems tthe right place for such probems.

Any way thank you very much for all the help

Sandrine