cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Store DB Limitations reached

TCash
Level 2

I currently manage a large Enterprise vault environment, that was in place years before my arrival.  I have recently been made aware of the db limitation of 250 million items in a single vault store database,  Unfortunately I work for a company that never ever allows deletes from vault.  Once there it lives forever, even if the user leaves the company.  We currently have 5 separate vault sites based on geographic regions.  They do not have cross site access.  I discovered we have at least one store in each site that has either already bypassed the 250 million item limit or will pass it soon.  

The question I need assistance with is - What is recommend to do when the database reaches this limit?

Obviously - I need to stop new data from going to this store, but I would like to make it as painless as possible for my users.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  However deleting data is not an option at this time.  I am pushing to one day allow some sort of deletes but it won't happen anytime in the near future. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

the hard limit is 2.5 Billion items because of the autonumber is an Int and thats the highest the number goes, this is regardless of whether items get deleted or expired etc, so you've got quite a while till you need to worry.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

From the looks of several posts, including this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC6863

It's not a hard limit, just a recommendation (so that SQL Maintenance is more easily performed)

Working for cloudficient.com

TCash
Level 2

My concern is that I should do something because it is not going to stop growing.  I am ok with being slightly over the limit - I understand it is not a hard limit - but 2 years from now if we still arent allowed to delete anything, we will be way over the limit and it will likely start causing performance or other issues right?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Yes, it *could* cause issues.

So, the way forward would be to contact your friendly Symantec Support people, pointint out the article and asking for their advice.

Otherwise your Technical Account Manager type person.

Otherwise, off the top of my head.. 'simplest' way is to 'move archive' (or use a 3rd party) to split up the data.

Patti_Rodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Each EV server can host more than one Vault Store, each with its own Vault Store Database. I would create new Vault Stores on the "heavy hitter" EV servers, and reconfigure provisioning groups so that all new employees have their archives written to the new Vault Store.  This at least will slow the tide of growth.  

The storage should not be co-mingled; for example, you don't need separate physical storage but you do need separate directories. If your current partition is on F:\EVStores\Ptn1 then it's pretty easy, just put up a new folder of F:\EVStores\Ptn2 or even create an F:\EVStores2\ and put your new partitions in there. You can definitely put the new store on a totally separate drive if you have one available though!

If there is a Journal Archive on any of these stores, it is fairly straightforward and easy to "close off" an existing Journal Archive and reconfigure EV to archive that Journal Mailbox into a new archive, which you would first create on your new store.  If you need those steps, the creation of the new archive is here: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO58046  and then you'd just reconfigure your task.

I would not recommend moving archives until you get permission to delete the source archives; a move is basically a copy then an optional delete of the "old" archive, and without the delete at the end, you're basically duplicating your SQL records and your savesets.  That's how the native MoveArchive tool works; I'm not sure if any of the third party tools would be able to complete the whole process if you're not allowed to delete. 

You may want to be on the lookout for SQL performance issues--- the recommended limit comes in part, as Rob mentions, from the ability to perform regular SQL maintenance and also the general better performance SQL delivers when databases are smaller.  If you are struggling with the SQL maintenance, you may have to implement a "split" schedule; instead of cleaning up all SQL indexes once a week, you'd have 2 different SQL jobs that run on different days and target different databases.  If you see high SQL disk queue lengths then you may have to stretch the database across more than one physical drive.  But if SQL performance is currently satisfactory then it is more of a "just watch it and if you see it start to slip, you might have to make some changes."

Anyway I'd get some new stores and databases stood up to at least prevent throwing new users and their data in with the existing mass. Your existing archives will continue to grow and the databases will continue to grow with them, but at least there is not the added burden of future employees in there.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I might be wrong, but, if you use either a 3rd party or move archive to move one or more archives ... and you verify that the data is the same in the target...  surely you'd then be allowed to 'delete' the source archive?

Patti_Rodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

It really all depends on who is making the rule that you're not allowed to delete and what is behind that rule.  If a company is trying to comply with certain laws, then it depends on how the legal teams have interpreted the laws before making the rules.  It's always, always best to get the rulemaker's input before trying to figure out how to solve this problem.  I've worked with customers (mostly the financial houses) for whom "no deleting of archives" means even deleting a copy of an archive would not be allowed.  It's a lot more common than you might think in some industries.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

the hard limit is 2.5 Billion items because of the autonumber is an Int and thats the highest the number goes, this is regardless of whether items get deleted or expired etc, so you've got quite a while till you need to worry.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I agree with JW3.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

did you end up working things out with this challenge?

TCash
Level 2

We are still working on it.  I have gotten permission to delete only vaults of leavers that I have moved to a dedicated vault store for leavers.  That way I am at least not duplicating data.  However unless we purchase a third party tool the moves go very slowly. 

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

we have a rather cost effective solution for this that allows you to migrate archives from vault store to vault store within your EV site. we could arrange it in a flexible manor where both the risk and investment are low to you. if it sounds interesting to you, drop me a PM and i can get you more details.