cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault cleanup

Sortid
Level 6
Hi,

I'm running EV2007 SP4.  Just a general question on vaults.  When a user recalls a file it extracts the CAB file to the vault.  These CAB files sit around until a clean up process is run during the evening (not exactly sure what process does this...)  Is there a way to run these at any time?  We get into the situation occasionally where the vault drive fills and no one can recall files from that vault until the following day. 

Thanks,
Cam.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sortid
Level 6
I logged a case with Symantec Support before realising the pathing issue.  They confirmed you can't change the path or the expiry time of the files and suggested I run the collection manually or run a delete of archdvs files when required.

Thanks to all for your comments.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Wow, you must be pretty tight on space!

When a user recalls an item it does not extract the entire cab, but rather you will see a file with the archdvs extension.  The next time the collection process runs if the file is over 24 hours old it should do a bit of housekeeping and clean those up.

What all do you have on that drive?  Can you move the vault store partiton to a new drive?

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
So you are correct that if a user restores or views an item that resides in a CAB file then EV restores the file to its original location. This file is given an extension of ARCHDVS instead of DVS as ARCHDVS shows that this is a temporary file.

The collector is what performs the cleanup and this runs once per day. This collector is also responsible for deleting empty collections.

So you should find that the next day the archdvs files are cleaned up.

Sortid
Level 6
We try to leave at least 40GB free when we close a vault to cater for this issue.  Occasionally when people do file copies a vault may fill up by accident.

Is there a way to force the collector to run at any time?

Maverik
Level 6
You can schedule or do a run now on collections only. Open properties of partition and look under collections tab.

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
You can do a run now but in my test it did not clear up my archdvs files so it would appear that this is only triggered on a scheduled run.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Paul, were your archdvs file older than 24 hours?

Sortid
Level 6
Is there a way to set the time limit to anything else then 24 hours?  Say 2 hours?

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
No they were not older than 24 hours but I thought that if you did a run now it would not look at time stamps but obviously it still does.

If you are struggling that much for disk space I see no problem with solving this outside of the boundaries of ev with a script that, for example, periodically checks for free disk space and if it goes below a certain level then you can just do a del *.archdvs /s

Sortid
Level 6
It doesn't happen too often, but we had a user who has just used ISYS to index a volume and filled up the vaulr.  There's a fair amount of archived data there, and the index is taking several days as there is significantly more archvied data in there then there is free space on the vault.  So when it cleans up overnight, the index job fills it up again.  It will eventually finish in the next few days (i hope), but if any other users want to recall files from there they can't. 

Thanks for all your input.

Olivian_Retezan
Level 4
Hi there,

Have you tried this reg key?

\Software
    \KVS
     \Enterprise Vault
      \AdminService

Content     DWORD

Description
Specifies the number of hours since a temporary file was last accessed before it becomes eligible for deletion. The default is 24 hours.

Additionally, you can set DelFilesOlderThanHours to 0 to force immediate deletion of all files matching DelFileTypes except for folders, read-only files, and files that are currently in use.

If you modify DelFilesOlderThanHours the change is picked up automatically at the end of the existing period. So, for example, if the current period is 24 (hours) and you change it to 1 (hour), the change will take effect at the end of the 24 hour period. The change will, however, be picked up immediately if you restart the Admin Service.

Olivian_Retezan
Level 4
If you implement this, please remember to restart the Admin Service to activate the setting immediately.

Sortid
Level 6
I implemented that registry setting this morning, setting it to 2 hours.  So far it seems to be cleaning things up as expected, and will keep an eye on it throughout the coming days.  I don't expect that setting to have much impact on the server, but you never know.

Thanks for the advice!!

sadir123
Level 2
Does  this registry key work in 8.0 SP1? I have temp files that are about a month old that are still around.

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Yes

Sortid
Level 6
Just a quick follow up on this, I implemented the reg key delfileolderthanhours  and set to 0 plus the delfiletypes with *.archdvs in it.  Didn't really do anything.  The drive has been pretty low for the last few weeks, and today was stuck at around 800MB free.  I did a search for archdvs and found files as old as 3 months in there, several GBs worth.  So i did a del *.archdvs /s and it cleaned up 43GB. 

Sortid
Level 6
Furthermore, I looked at the last accessed time, and it's now several hours gone and the archdvs files that have been created since I ran the clean up are still there.  My understanding was that the cleanup process should be running straightaway now that I have set those reg keys.  But as Paul also indicated above, his manual run didn't clean them up either.  Am I misunderstanding how the cleanup works?  Is it only cleaning them up during the scheduled run and not a continual check by EV?

Olivian_Retezan
Level 4
Hi there,

This is funny as it should be working. Btw, the reg keys are case sesitive.
Anyway, to troubleshoot the cleanup process, please have a look over the following article. It will show you how to dtrace the cleanup process.
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/ev-clearing-temporary-files

Further, you can have a look on the following comment that describes the setup of the reg keys.
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/temp-files-not-being-deleted-location-cdocuments-and-settingsevaultsvclocal-settingstemp#comment-2654511

Please follow this and let us know if you managed to fix the issue with the information from the dtrace.

Br, Olivian

Sortid
Level 6

Thanks for the reply.  I did put the keys in using caps where appropriate.  I'm trying to clear *.ARCHDVS files from 26 vaults, just wondering if the above process will search other volumes or only c: for the DelFileTypes?  Every example I have come across only mentions .tmp and .dat files.

Sortid
Level 6
Hi,

I ran the dtrace as directed above with the below results.  Looks like the reg keys only affect the temp drive on c: and don't touch the vaults.  So I guess I need something else to solve my issue...

265416 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::ThreadRoutine - GetTempPath
265417 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::ThreadRoutine - TempPath = C:\DOCUME~1\XXXX\LOCALS~1\Temp\
265418 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::ThreadRoutine - GetRegistrySettings
265419 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::GetRegistrySettings - Try to open [SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\AdminService]
265420 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::GetRegistrySettings - Read [DelFilesOlderThanHours]
265421 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::GetRegistrySettings - DelFilesOlderThanHours = [1]
265422 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::GetRegistrySettings - Read [DelFileTypes]
265423 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::GetRegistrySettings - DelFileTypes = [*.ARCHDVS]
265424 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::GetRegistrySettings - CloseKey
265425 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::ThreadRoutine CleanupFiles loop
265426 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::CleanupFiles - Find Files (C:\DOCUME~1\XXXX\LOCALS~1\Temp\EV$*.*)
265427 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::CleanupFiles - Exit
265428 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::CleanupFiles - Find Files (C:\DOCUME~1\XXXX\LOCALS~1\Temp\~DF*.TMP)
265429 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::CleanupFiles - Exit
265430 12:01:33.447  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::CleanupFiles - Find Files (C:\DOCUME~1\XXXX\LOCALS~1\Temp\*.ARCHDVS)
265431 12:01:33.494  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::CleanupFiles - Exit
265432 12:01:33.494  [77312] (AdminService) <73384> EV:M CCleanUpTempFiles::ThreadRoutine - wait for 1 hour or until service exits.

Thanks for your responses thus far.