cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault recover

PauloRodrigues
Level 2

Un utilisateur a été supprimé, il y a quelques mois (dans Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP4), sous "Archives", dans "Exchange Mailbox" et il n'y a eu aucune sauvegarde de faite, pour le serveur Exchange (via NetBackup), pendant la période du 01.01.2011 au 24.02.2011 . Lorsque nous avons rajouté sa mailbox, à nouveau, dans Enterprise Vault, nous avons pu récupéré tous les mails archivés, avant 2011 et après le 24.02.2011, mais tout ce qui a été archivé, pendant la période sus-mentionnée, est perdu ou du moins, n'est plus accessible.

Comment faire, pour pouvoir récupérer tous les mails, stockés dans "Enterprise Vault", puisqu'il doivent forcémenet être encore quelque part, sur le serveur, je suppose?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

So if the archive has been deleted then there are only really a couple of options

- if you have Journaling enabled then you could find the item in the Journal Archive and restore from there

- if you have a backup of the old data from before the Archive was deleted then you could set up a dummy EV installation and restore the backup, though this would be a lengthy operation. (same steps which i suggested in my previous comment )

Refer the following docs as well

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48829

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48850

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

The only way its really possible is to set up an isolated machine with SQL and EV installed, restore the EnterpriseVaultDirectory and the users vault store (or vault stores if using OSIS) and then restore the entire data.

Get everything back and pointed to the local drives (such as the PartitionRootPath to be your local restored data directory) and make sure things like the site alias, and EV Server Alias are all pointing to that new machine in something like the hosts file.

then when you get EV up and running do an export of the users archive to a PST

So the way's i've done it before are as follows

1. Note down the EVSite Alias and the EV Server Alias and Computer Name for the live server
2. Set up a server that has SQL Server/IIS/MSMQ etc installed
3. Ensure you have a user thats a local admin and has sufficient SQL Rights (Don't worry about Exchange or anything else)
4. Edit the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and point everything at the local machine, such as:
    evsite 127.0.0.1
    evserver1 127.0.0.1
    myServer.myDomain.com 127.0.0.1
    myServer 127.0.0.1
    mySQLServer.myDomain.com 127.0.0.1
    mySQLServer 127.0.0.1
5. Install Enterprise Vault to the same Service Pack level as from when you are going from the backups
    (for instance if you were on EV8 SP2 in December but you're now on EV8 SP3, install EV8 SP2)
6. Restore the SQL Databases (EnterpriseVaultDirectory, EVVaultStore and FingerPrint database to local sql server)
7. Restore the EV Data (Just Vault Store Partitions, don't worry about the indexes) to a drive accessible by that machine
8. Open the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database and edit the PartitionEntry table and change the PartitionRootPaths to be where your restore data is
     For instance change from something like \\mySANServer\EVPtn1 to E:\Vault Stores\EVPtn1\
9. Now run the Enterprise Vault Configuration utility and tell it to create a databasse on your local sql server
10. It will then say that it found the computer in the database and ran repairs
11. Start the EV Admin Service, Directory Service and Storage Service
12. Stop the Shopping, Indexing and Task Controllers if they're started
13. Put the Vault Stores in to read only mode
14. Export the user

The reason we want to change the names in the database and the hosts file and what not is so that we do not risk affecting live data.
The more isolated this set up can be, the better

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

The first thing is do you use journalling as that may be a may to recover the missing emails.

However if you deleted the Archive without backups then the data is gone.

Apologies is I am missing something as I am sure goolge translate doesnt do you justice :(

PauloRodrigues
Level 2

Translation of my problem:

A user was deleted a few months ago (in Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP4), under "Archives", in "Exchange Mailbox" and there was no backup made ​​of the Exchange server (via NetBackup), during the period from 01.01.2011 to 24.02.2011. When we added the mailbox, again, in Enterprise Vault, we recovered all the mails archived before 2011 and after 24.02.2011, but whatever has been archived during the period, mentioned above, it's lost or at least, is no longer accessible/visible.

How can I do to recover all the mails stored in "Enterprise Vault", as they must necessarily still be somewhere on the server, I suppose?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

.. in addition to getting out of this, you may want to check the ideas section, and vote for the entry relating to "Deleted Archive Dumpster" or words to that effect.  Essentially after deleting an archive you'll be able to undelete it for a period of time.

Working for cloudficient.com

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

So if the archive has been deleted then there are only really a couple of options

- if you have Journaling enabled then you could find the item in the Journal Archive and restore from there

- if you have a backup of the old data from before the Archive was deleted then you could set up a dummy EV installation and restore the backup, though this would be a lengthy operation. (same steps which i suggested in my previous comment )

Refer the following docs as well

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48829

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH48850