Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault store migration during EV migration from EV 9 to EV 10

Shantaram_Sahya
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

We are upgrading EV 9 to EV 10. EV 9 is currently in a standalone enviroemnt but the target EV 10 would be clustered using SFW & VCS. We are going to use SSMW to migrate server settings of EV 9 to EV 10 standalone and then convert it into cluster.

How ever at the same time we also need to migrate the Vault stores currently stored on a Network Share to local SAN drives. We plan to backup all Vault store data on Network share and restore them on new SAN luns eg: G:\EVvaultStore\. During migration SSMW ask for new location of Vault store and we will point it to this target location.

My question is

1. Will the above method work. Anyone has tried it before.

2. After migration will just update of EV indexe's suffice or we have to rebuild EV index's. (migration is happening from 32bit to 64bit).

Wating for your inputs.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Patti_Rodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

The time to convert those indexes will vary greatly with the environment. How fast is your storage, how complex are the messages, etc. It's not a bad idea to do some smaller indexes and keep track of the rates, then build your own estimates from there. Do keep in  mind that if you CONVERT the indexes rather than rebuilding them, the 32-bit version of the index will remain online and searchable during the process, so you will not lose functionality. This assumes your indexes are already healthy and searchable, and there is really only one chance to upgrade/convert the index, so make sure you are aware of the difference between convert/upgrade, and rebuild!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

1. I would strongly suggest you try the steps in a lab environment first -- with just a small vault store/partition.

2. Yes moving the data to EV10, from EV 9, will require you to rebuild the indexes if you want to make them all 64 bit.

On that same topic, where are you indices right now? Because if you want them to be local you'll also have to move those.

Working for cloudficient.com

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi there,

I performed pretty similar migrations several times, and you should face no problems as long as you follow the manual. The Migration wizard will allow you to select the new EV services locations as appropriate.

Indexes update/rebuild is not mandatory immediately after the upgrade as EV will continue using the existing 32bit ones and create a new 64bit volumes for the new data. However, indexes rebuild should be scheduled down the road when possible, and the process is quite easy with the new built-in Indexing utilities.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

--Virgil

Shantaram_Sahya
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

Thanks for your inputs.

Yes I agree the INDEX's have to be rebuilt if we need it to be 64bit. Is there any way of estimating time taken for INDEX rebuitd/convertion from 32bit to 64bit. I have around 12 TB of data on Vault stores and more incomming.

What are your experiences.

Warm Regards

Thanks in advance.

Patti_Rodgers
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

The time to convert those indexes will vary greatly with the environment. How fast is your storage, how complex are the messages, etc. It's not a bad idea to do some smaller indexes and keep track of the rates, then build your own estimates from there. Do keep in  mind that if you CONVERT the indexes rather than rebuilding them, the 32-bit version of the index will remain online and searchable during the process, so you will not lose functionality. This assumes your indexes are already healthy and searchable, and there is really only one chance to upgrade/convert the index, so make sure you are aware of the difference between convert/upgrade, and rebuild!

Shantaram_Sahya
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Thank you all for your inputs. Surely will keep them in mind.